Super Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2023 & HAPPY NEW YEAR. READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I started the new year with a couple of novels by Jeffrey Archer.  Only Time Will Tell  is the first of a series about Harry Clifton and the various people in his life.  It begins in 1920, when Harry was a poor but talented English child who exceeds his humble beginnings and becomes well educated and befriended/influenced by more affluent peers.  The Sins of the Father is the second book in this series, and absolutely picks up on the last word of the first book. There are 4 or 5 more in this series, I'm on the third novel, now. . . I'm enjoying them. . . but it's a bit of a commitment!

Esteemed Contributor

@lork wrote:

I started the new year with a couple of novels by Jeffrey Archer.  Only Time Will Tell  is the first of a series about Harry Clifton and the various people in his life.  It begins in 1920, when Harry was a poor but talented English child who exceeds his humble beginnings and becomes well educated and befriended/influenced by more affluent peers.  The Sins of the Father is the second book in this series, and absolutely picks up on the last word of the first book. There are 4 or 5 more in this series, I'm on the third novel, now. . . I'm enjoying them. . . but it's a bit of a commitment!

@lork 

It sounds interesting and I love series books. I have added to my TBR list. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was reading Daylight by David Baldacci an Atlee Pine Series. However, this evening I picked up some books that were on hold at the library for me. one of the books that I picked up, Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult has no renewals, versus Daylight which has 3.

I will read Mad Honey and then return to my previous book. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't had the best luck with picking out books lately. They were all pretty ho-hum.

"Do Not Disturb" by Frieda McFadden: This is her newest novel and normally, her books are a pretty sure fire for me, but this one just seemed like a rush job. Completely nonsensical and no real character development to explain the story to make it make sense. Oh well, I'll look forward to next book

"The Resort" by Sue Watson: it was fine as most of her books are but definitely hard to keep track of so many characters and who goes with whom. Completely forgettable. 

"The Game You Played" by Anni Taylor: This book could have used some editing by a fourth. It was extremely long that I wondered if she was ever going to land this plane. Listening time: almost 14 hours. She is definitely creative but this was enough for two stories.  I've read another of hers that although long, it needed to be to tell the story. 

I started "The Hidden Hours" by Sara Foster. This is my second book from her and she gets it done. I loved her last book and this one is really good so far.  Flawed character but not so much, you won't root for her. Definitely recommend this author. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus Mad Honey was an excellent book.  I liked it so much II put it on the Best Books 2022.  Enjoy!  LM

Honored Contributor

Long Shadows (Memory Man series), by David Baldacci.

Amos Decker and his brand new partner travel to South Florida where a Federal Judge and her body guard are found murdered.  But was there only one killer or two and the two murders completely unrelated to each other even though they occurred under the Judge's roof.  The only thing Amos knows is there are two dead from two different weapons and possible witnesses are disappearing. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Book: The Housemaid

Author: Freida McFadden

Rating: 3 of 5 stars

A young woman who was released from prison finds employment with an extremely wealthy couple. The plot was interesting and the book really moved along. However, the final wrap-up was just too hard to believe. What are the odds that the policeman who writes the final report on a crime is willing to change the facts when he realizes his relative was a victim of the deceased many years ago? Might be believable in a small town but this is Long Island.

Regular Contributor

@Lilysmom1 - Totally agree with you about Mad Honey - definitely one of my favorite books of 2022 - containing not just one but TWO giant twists!!

Have you read Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt?  Oh my, what a masterpiece!  It's about a widow who gets a cleaning job at a local aquarium and befriends a (real) octopus there.  Marcellus (the brilliant octopus) amazingly helps her solve the mystery of how her son went missing 30 years prior.  I know the premise sounds strange, but it is truly one of the best books I've ever read.  Several readers on this forum have also mentioned it, so I know I am in good company!   

Honored Contributor

I can't believe they're making a second movie of Fredrick Backman's A Man Called Otto. There already was one movie but it was foreign-pretty good. But this one stars Tom Hanks and I think he'll be really good. Now playing.

Trusted Contributor

I just read The Perfect Marriage by Jeneva Rose.  It was a Kindle Unlimited download and a debut book by this author.  I really liked this book because it was fast-paced, had interesting characters, and I liked how the book was written in the perspective of the husband and the wife in alternating chapters.  The husband is accused of killing his mistress and the wife, who is a lawyer, defends him.  Notice that the word Perfect in the title is crossed out. 

The book has gotten mixed reviews on Amazon and I know it's not perfect, but I recommend it.  I did not like that the author uses the word "cause" when "because" should be used.  I could never get my high school students to understand that, but a good editor should know!