Esteemed Contributor

JANUARY 2023 & HAPPY NEW YEAR. READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]

Happy New Year to all of our readers. Please come and share what you are reading or have finished.

Please remember to share the author as well, many books have similar titles. 

Honored Contributor

Re: JANUARY 2023 & HAPPY NEW YEAR. READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Your Table is Ready, by Michael Cecchi-Azzolina is about his career as a maitre d' hotel who manned the hottest and most in demand restaurants in NYC. It's a great read  !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Just finished 'Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow' by Gabrielle Zevin.

Outstanding.

Happy 2023 to all  Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

Eclectic mix...

Just finished Lauren Graham's (of Gilmore Girls)

"Have I Told You This Already?"

A lighthearted book of essays. Her fourth book; this is the 3rd I've read and enjoyed them all. Two were essays, one fiction. 

I've started Bill O'Reilly's "Killing The Legends"...I've only read one other of his Killing series (Killing Lincoln), and find this one is like the first...takes you right along into the history and story.

I had also taken out of my library Carole King's autobiography. Biographies, autobiographies in particular, are one of my favorite genres. I started this before Killing the Legends came, which destracted me, but needs to go back soon, so may have to finish that next.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Your Table is Ready, by Michael Cecchi-Azzolina is about his career as a maitre d' hotel who manned the hottest and most in demand restaurants in NYC. It's a great read  !

Oooh....having worked in restaurants back in the day, including in NYC...I love reading inside the industry books on that subject (years ago I read Danny Myer's book "Setting the Table")....the restaurant business is like live theater and can be so interesting.

I'm going to check that book out. 

Regular Contributor

I am currently reading A WORLD OF CURIOSITIES by Louise Penny.  For me it is her best yet.

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb I just love the Killing series though I have not read them all.  My favorite one though was as you mentioned "Killing Lincoln" and if you liked that read "Killing Kennedy" which was my 2nd favorite one.  You literally feel as though you are there!   I also have read "Killing Jesus"...........great series, I want to read the others too.

I love to read but I don't think I can keep up with you ladies.  I'm a slow reader, it usually takes me awhile to finish a book and I am one who can only concentrate on one book at a time.   I've gotten lots of ideas on here, thank you all Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

As a native New Yorker, this sounds right up my alley.  Requested from our library.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@amyb I just love the Killing series though I have not read them all.  My favorite one though was as you mentioned "Killing Lincoln" and if you liked that read "Killing Kennedy" which was my 2nd favorite one.  You literally feel as though you are there!   I also have read "Killing Jesus"...........great series, I want to read the others too.

I love to read but I don't think I can keep up with you ladies.  I'm a slow reader, it usually takes me awhile to finish a book and I am one who can only concentrate on one book at a time.   I've gotten lots of ideas on here, thank you all Smiley Happy

@LindaSal Not to worry about "keeping up" with me! I too love to read but am a slow reader! Some I fly through quicker than others.

The Killing books are well written...perhaps at some point I will read some of those others too.

Respected Contributor

Finished The Cicada Tree by Robert Gwaltney.  Southern fiction with a eerie twist.  I'm still trying to figure out the ending!