Trusted Contributor

J.K Rowling’s latest is free

https://www.theickabog.com/en-us/home/

The Ickabog is the latest book by JK Rowling. It's being published online as a chapter or two each day thru mid-July. You can easily catch up to the few chapters already out. 

This work is more in the fantasy genre. It’s nothing like her Harry Potter—no magic or wizards, but it’s pretty good as a story and certainly an easy read in mostly short chapters. Definitely some subtle political views and recognizable traits and ethics in today’s world reflected in her invented land of Cornucopia, its people and leaders.

All of Harry Potter’s adventures and intense characters were morality tales imbued with values we all strive for. This has that quality but in a different tone.

It's also suitable as a read aloud book for children. I'd say it's best for kids age 4 and up. heck, I'm a senior grownup and I find it charming. I look forward to the new chapters coming every day.

It's nicely sized and spaced on the screen page so it's not at all hard to read. Some people really prefer physical books for readability, but I'm finding easy comfort viewing this on my iPad. 

It's fun, it's free and it's fed to you one chapter or so at a time by a very good storytelling writer. Try it by following the link above. 

Happy reading!

Honored Contributor

Re: J.K Rowling’s latest is free

@gizmogal -

Thank you so much!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@gizmogal  Thank you so much for sharing!! You made my day! Have a good weekend and happy reading to you as well.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Respected Contributor

@gizmogal  Thanks for posting this!

Honored Contributor

BUT!! what is it about?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@gizmogal   Thank you for posting this link.  I have read the first five chapters so far and am enjoying it throughly.

Regards,

aroc3435

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

BUT!! what is it about?

It's about a vain foolish king, his foppish court, and a land of people and their moral values that need a better ruler. Adventure ensues as the king indulges his selfish needs. Conflict is established over the age old reconciliation of good over bad.

Honored Contributor

Thanks,giz!

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@gizmogal   I just finished reading the final installment.  I so appreciate your posting the information and link.  I would probably not have known about this without you listing it.

I really enjoyed reading this serial by such a talented, imaginative author.

Thank you so much.

Best,

aroc3435

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I readthe last entry today. Sorry it's over, but glad of the fine wrap up.

I very much enjoyed this chapter by chapter tale. It was fun to look forward to the next episode and easy to catch up if I missed a few days in a row. Even as an adult, the story intrigued me.

I found the end very satisfyiing and gentle. The theme was not revenge, but understandng, appropriate consequences, reconciliation, and restitution. 

I wished I had a little kid around to read this to every few days and share the delight and see the effect of the story and charactrs on a child. All around, it was a good few weeks of diversion and I'm glad I brought the opportunity her to the forum to share it with others.

I'm not fond of Rowling's political views on some social concerns of our times, but I do appreciate her charming writing and creativity.