Honored Contributor

Inspired by recipes in cozy novels?

I'm reading the cozy mystery series by Bailey Cates (Cattrell) and made the scones in the back of one of her books.  They were surprisingly delicious.

Anyone else made a new and delicious recipe from a cozy mystery?  (Are there cozy novels or just cozy mysteries?)

Cheddar Sage Scones
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried sage
6 Tablespoons butter, cut into 1-inch pieces and
chilled in the freezer for fifteen minutes
2/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg
½ cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Set aside ¼ cup flour in a small bowl. In a medium bowl combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt and sage. Add
chilled butter and cut into flour by rubbing with your fingers or a using a pastry blender until the consistency of
rough cornmeal.

Add the grated cheddar to the ¼ cup flour and toss to coat. Shake to remove excess flour and add to pastry mixture,
tossing with your hands to evenly distribute the cheese.

Whisk together the egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring lightly with a fork until ingredients are moistened
and just hold together.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead twenty times. Add more flour to the surface if needed. Pat into an 8-
inch circle, slightly higher in the center than on the edges. Using a very sharp knife, cut eight equal wedges. Place
scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, slightly apart from each other. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until
golden brown.

Makes 8 scones.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Inspired by recipes in cozy novels?

I have made some way back when from Diane Mott Davidson's cozy series that included Chopping Spree and others.  Chili and also brownies I think?  

The books were about Goldie the caterer. . . I loved them!

Respected Contributor

I have not. I do read some cozy mysteries that have recipes, but I've never made one.

I'm glad it yours worked out so well!

Respected Contributor

I save quite a few recipes but have not made them.  I just finished a series by Michele Scott. The books were ok, but the recipes and suggested wines looked great!

There is a facebook page and blog called Mystery Lovers Kitchen where mystery authors share recipes. 

Capture.JPG

Super Contributor

I have read a few cozies with recipes, but the only one I tried was from JoAnn Fluke's first book, the chocolate chip cookies made with cornflakes.  It was pretty good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the Tea Shop Mysteries  by Laura Childs. The recipes look good but I haven’t tried any.

Esteemed Contributor

Not from a cozy mystery, but I read a memoir that took place in Sicily that included recipes (Tembe Locke’s From Scratch). Made a lentil and pasta recipe from that.
Honored Contributor

Jan Karon had some recipes in her Mitford books. She  only mentions what so and so was cooking, but not the recipe so I got her Mitford cookbook. It's beautiful. Gobs of recipes that were made in the actual stories. I think I made the deviled eggs. I had best go back and look at the book again. It was such fun.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Jan Karon had some recipes in her Mitford books. She  only mentions what so and so was cooking, but not the recipe so I got her Mitford cookbook. It's beautiful. Gobs of recipes that were made in the actual stories. I think I made the deviled eggs. I had best go back and look at the book again. It was such fun.

I read her books and bought her cookbook, too.  I had to know more about that orange marmalade cake.  I still haven't made it, but now I could if I ever decided to.

I agree, @Judaline, it's a beautifully produced cookbook.  

Image result for jan karon cookbook"

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've made some things from the Joanne Fluke book series about Hannah Swensen who runs the Cookie Jar Bakery in Lake Eden, Minnesota. Other than the instructions are unbearable, the bars and lava cakes I made, were very good. Instead of saying 'one beaten egg' the author will go on and say 'one beaten egg, you don't need a mixer; just beat in a glass with a fork'.  Her recipes go on for pages!!