Valued Contributor

If one of your favorite books is turned into a movie................

who would you want to star in it?  Unfortunately, Tom Cruise is Jack Reacher in the two movies by Lee Child of that character.  I always thought Liam Niessen would be a great Jack Reacher-tall, big, sort of beat-up handsome. Maybe I should be a casting director?

Mark Walberg would make a great John Corey from Nelson DeMille's books.  Don't know why his books of that character haven't been made into movies.

Respected Contributor

Re: If one of your favorite books is turned into a movie................

I have the cast all planned out for one of my all-time favorite books; THE LILAC GIRLS.  Meryl Streep would play Dr. Herta Oberhauser, Michelle Pfeiffer would play Caroline Ferriday & Willow Shields would be Kasia.  

Honored Contributor

I would love for the Louise Penny Inspector Gamache books to be movies. I've always pictured the Poirot master, David Suchet as Gamache so it would have to be him. Plus I would have Hastings or Hugh Fraser as his sidekick, Jean-Guy. They'd have to make him look youger but Hollywood could do it.

Regular Contributor

I was a huge Janet Evanovich fan, read the Stephanie Plum books up to #20, then quit since it was always the same thing.  Couldn't wait until they finally made One For the Money into the movie after years of talk. Thought Mr. Plum played by the actor who was Vince on Mike & Molly was spot on.  Debbie Reynolds as Grandma Mazur and Katherine Hegel and definately the roles of Ranger and Morelli were all miscast IMO. Thought a younger Esai Morales would've made a great Ranger and Estelle Getty would have nailed Grandma.  I would often try to think of other actors who could play the other roles but none came to mind.

Honored Contributor

@Gardengal55 wrote:

I was a huge Janet Evanovich fan, read the Stephanie Plum books up to #20, then quit since it was always the same thing.  Couldn't wait until they finally made One For the Money into the movie after years of talk. Thought Mr. Plum played by the actor who was Vince on Mike & Molly was spot on.  Debbie Reynolds as Grandma Mazur and Katherine Hegel and definately the roles of Ranger and Morelli were all miscast IMO. Thought a younger Esai Morales would've made a great Ranger and Estelle Getty would have nailed Grandma.  I would often try to think of other actors who could play the other roles but none came to mind.

I know what you mean. I admired Katherie Heigl for dying her hair brown for the role-it was her idea. I thought she was good-never would have picked her.Morelli character was a miscast. Very bad casting. Estelle Getty is grandma. No no one else. Lula-no good. Ranger, sigh, was David Sunjata. I picked him for the role but he was too undynamic. It's a shame they ruined this movie because now there won't be any sequels.

Honored Contributor

I can't watch a movie after I've loved a book if the cast is not right for me.

It took me 5 or 6 years before I could watch the Bridges of Madison County.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I can't watch a movie after I've loved a book if the cast is not right for me.

It took me 5 or 6 years before I could watch the Bridges of Madison County.

I don't watch any movie that I've read the book.   The cast is never right for me.    Reading the book after the movie is only marginally better.  But at least you can put those people's images in the book.

I've been buying the Dexter books for a long time just haven't read them yet.   My son said the only thing that is the same as the show is that he kills people and to be prepared.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I'll have to think on this one but what instantly sprang to mind was I always thought  a young Rutgar Hauer would have been Great as Anne Rice's Vampire LeStat.

Valued Contributor

Overall, movies made from books do not do justice to the book. I don't want my beloved books made into movies.

That being said, I totally agree, @chihuahuamom.  Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher is just wrong.  I actually have not read another Lee Child book since TC was cast as Reacher.  It made me lose all respect.  Liam Neeson would have been a great choice.

Outlander casting and script are overall, spot on. Diana Gabaldon, author, has been involved since day one.  Jamie could have been taller, but Sam Heughan IS Jamie and Catriona Balfe could not be a better Claire.

11/22/63 was pretty decently done, too. It was a Netfilx series  And it is one of my favorite books.

Game of Thrones:  great casting, although there have been significant liberties with the story at times.

I love John Sanford.  There was a TV movie of one book and it was just awful.

I could go on and on....Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@sassenach1  I still love the Jack Reacher books.   Lee Child sold the movie rights to TC's movie company, it's not his fault Tom chose to be the main character.  How he decided he was perfect for the role is beyond me.   I haven't read the last one yet, and am interested to if he emphasizes his size in the beginning like most his other books.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*