Honored Contributor

Re: IF YOU WERE GOING TO BUY A NEW EREADER, WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

@mima  

Yep, I got the newest Paperwhite just a couple or weeks or so before the Voyage came along $30 off.  The Paperwhite is somewhat better than the version before it, but not nearly as good as the Voyage--at least the one I got.

The Paperwhite still has some hint of shadow on the bottom edge, and not nearly the degree of opacity that the whiter screet of the Voyage has.  PLUS, I like the little squeeze things on the sides if I am holding it in one hand. 

Thanks for letting me know how many you have!  I've got an old keyborad and a small plain Kindle I need to trade it.  We seem to be sisters on this Kindle thing!  Ha ha!

Honored Contributor

I've been reading on my Kindle Fire this week for the first time in quite a while.  I'd forgotten how heavy that thing is!  So, I, too, am looking at a new Paperwhite.  Maybe I can find a deal to trade in the Fire.

Regular Contributor

I just took advantage of the Kindle sale on Amazon, too.  I chose to get a new Paperwhite because I am another person who keeps 2 kindles going at the same time.  I am a book lender, so when one of my friends without a kindle wants to read a great book that I just read, I will load up my "loaner" kindle and let them borrow it.  My current kindle is a Paperwhite, but the screen is not as sensitive to my touch like it used to be.  I decided the sale was a good reason for an upgrade, but now I am wondering if I should have gotten the Voyage instead so I would have the page turn button option... 

Respected Contributor

My kindle fire has the swipe (or tap) page turn feature and I really prefer the page turn button on my basic kindle.  So I think if I were going to upgrade my basic kindle I would go for the voyage.  The swipe option only works from the right side to turn ahead and the left side to turn back a page.  The page click buttons can do both from either side.   At least that's how it is on my basic kindle.  Can someone tell me if it works that way on the voyage?

Honored Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

My kindle fire has the swipe (or tap) page turn feature and I really prefer the page turn button on my basic kindle.  So I think if I were going to upgrade my basic kindle I would go for the voyage.  The swipe option only works from the right side to turn ahead and the left side to turn back a page.  The page click buttons can do both from either side.   At least that's how it is on my basic kindle.  Can someone tell me if it works that way on the voyage?

The click buttons are on both sides, so you can click forward or back with either hand--nice if you are having tea and want to hold it in your left hand!  LOL!!

You can also swipe or tap to turn the page.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

The click buttons are on both sides, so you can click forward or back with either hand--nice if you are having tea and want to hold it in your left hand!  LOL!!

You can also swipe or tap to turn the page.  

Thanks, Sooner.  That's exactly why I like the buttons!  And you can swipe or tap?  Wow, sounds great.

Trusted Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

LOL!!!  I jumped on that.  Now the new one isn't light years ahead of the old one, but it is better!  SO, I'm fishing for a deal on the Voyage in the upcoming shopping season.  WHy not have more than one?  I usually read more than one book at a time!

I need to find something else to trade in don't I?  Thanks for the kind words!  I thought it was a great deal! LESS than half price!!!!!!  Regular price that is! 

@Sooner

My Paperwhite is on it's last legs (it's showing little dots on the screen) and I plan to upgrade to a new Voyager, but like you I'm holding my fire until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to see if a good deal pops up!

If you see anything, report back!!!

Yes. please do share your experience.  I've had the original Kindles, won in some online gimmicky promotion,  so long they're antiques.  I don't know what difference there may be between my IPad Air and a simple Kindle.  Recently I've bought hard copies just for the feel of turning the pages, of being able to search for a character or event by flipping through the pages.  I put several full length Bibles in because of the sheer volume of paper but still find the feel of the gilt edged paper pages superior to the monotonous e pages.  So, confused ?, uncertain, I'm not reading any of them LOL   Please do share?

Trusted Contributor

I'm still loving my Voyage.   The page turns on tge bezel are wonderful.  I can't imagine what they could come up with to make it better.l

Super Contributor

My BFF early Christmas gifted me this week with a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (the 7" size they brand as NOOK)  and I love it.  Very easy set up, easy to use.  Was also easy to tap into my county's library system  and download/loan out books.  (County system uses Overdrive as their download software).  

I can easily fit the tablet in my regular purse since it's 7" and found a very nice cover for it on ebay for under $10. For years I mistakenly believed that 7" would be too small  for me and I was wrong.  For years I had been bouncing back and forth on what to buy so she just bought it for me and so glad she pushed the issue. Love having internet access (in wi fied areas) and downloaded books always on hand.

Honored Contributor

I broke my Kindle 3g keyboard and bought early this year, a Paperwhite 2nd generation and truly it's the only one for me!