Esteemed Contributor

IF YOU WERE GOING TO BUY A NEW EREADER, WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

My ereader is about five years old and I am thinking of passing it along to my sister in law.  It is a Sony, one of the first out there.  No wifi.  What can I expect to see in a new ereader besides wifi?  

TIA.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: IF YOU WERE GOING TO BUY A NEW EREADER, WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

I see @Sooner has a similar thread below so going to check there.  Still looking for additional comments so feel free to post!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

A Kindle Paperwhite would be fine. The e-reader listed as just a "Kindle" is the first Paperwhite. I have owned mine for two years. You can easily read in direct sunlight without glare. You should read some reviews on Amazon's site comparing the older Kindle Paperwhite, and the new product. There is not a lot of different in the two devices. 

I purchased a case for my Paperwhite from just a vendor. The cases Amazon sells are just too expensive.

Respected Contributor

I have the Kindle Keyboard which I love and it has the "click" turn page which I want, so I would look at the Voyager.   I will keep my Keyboard until it dies.

Honored Contributor

The Kindle Paperwhites are great.  I just bought the newest model and it is not a lot better than the last generation Paperwhites, but is somewhat an upgrade.  Both are good, easy to load books, and work seamlessly with our local library to download books for free over a wireless network.  

I wish I had tried the Voyager--but with coupons, trade in of a keyboard Kindle and the $99 recent special I paid about $55 for the new one.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner, what a great deal!  You're a smart shopper!  LM

Honored Contributor

LOL!!!  I jumped on that.  Now the new one isn't light years ahead of the old one, but it is better!  SO, I'm fishing for a deal on the Voyage in the upcoming shopping season.  WHy not have more than one?  I usually read more than one book at a time!

I need to find something else to trade in don't I?  Thanks for the kind words!  I thought it was a great deal! LESS than half price!!!!!!  Regular price that is! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

LOL!!!  I jumped on that.  Now the new one isn't light years ahead of the old one, but it is better!  SO, I'm fishing for a deal on the Voyage in the upcoming shopping season.  WHy not have more than one?  I usually read more than one book at a time!

I need to find something else to trade in don't I?  Thanks for the kind words!  I thought it was a great deal! LESS than half price!!!!!!  Regular price that is! 

@Sooner

My Paperwhite is on it's last legs (it's showing little dots on the screen) and I plan to upgrade to a new Voyager, but like you I'm holding my fire until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to see if a good deal pops up!

If you see anything, report back!!!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner

My Paperwhite is on it's last legs (it's showing little dots on the screen) and I plan to upgrade to a new Voyager, but like you I'm holding my fire until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to see if a good deal pops up!

GREAT!  We're a team!  On the lookout!  LOL!!!  SURELY something will come up won't it?  I want one of those too.  Hubby and I both read books all the time, and both are retiring, so we can share Kindles without much trouble!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@gardensla wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner

GREAT!  We're a team!  On the lookout!  LOL!!!  SURELY something will come up won't it?  I want one of those too.  Hubby and I both read books all the time, and both are retiring, so we can share Kindles without much trouble!  

You may want to check Amazon's site everyday for a sale.