Respected Contributor

Louise Penny's Armand Gamache series has brought me the greatest appreciation over the years. The latest book in the series, Kingdom of the Blind, is a masterpiece.

I loved how this book focused so much on the characters (in the more recent books, criminal matters have sometimes taken over): it felt so good to reunite with all these individuals. I fell completely for all the plot twists.

What a dazzling book!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I treasure Louise Penny!

[ Edited ]

I have read all her books and have been saving the latest. She is amazing. I’m on her mailing list. She went through her husband’s Alzheimer’s and I find solace in her postings.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Louise Penny.  Three Pines and Armand Gamache mystery series are my favorite.  Usually I get bored with any series but this is not the case with Penny's mystery series.  I am always sad when I finish one of her novels and look forward to her next offering.  Kingdom of the Blind was one of her best.  Lots of twists and turns. 

ETA:  She has submitted her fourth revision for the next book to be released later this year.  I can't wait!

Trusted Contributor

@insomniac2, @KentuckyWoman, @Vivian Florimond, I keep hearing great things about "Kingdom of the Blind."
Will you please advise: do I need to read the entire series before reading "Kingdom of the Blind?" Are there recurring characters and references to past cases that I won't appreciate if I start with her latest book?
Thank you in advance, fellow readers...I have never read anything by Louise Penny!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

GoinBacktoCali, you wouldn't have to read the whole series, but I would advise going back and reading maybe the six most recent books. I will check later on and pinpoint the book I feel you should start at--in order to better appreciate the impact on the latest part of the saga.

Trusted Contributor

@insomniac2 You are a dear!💚 I thank you most sincerely! I'm so excited to have a new author to explore. 😃
Again, my warmest thanks for your advice. Q readers are THE BEST!
Valued Contributor

@insomniac2 

I totally agree.  Penny does such a great job with characterization that I sometimes feel that I actually know the characters as people. I am always eagerly awaiting her next book.

Respected Contributor

Louise Penny--a short cut through the series (for GoinBacktoCali and others)

[ Edited ]

I really believe that the entire Inspector Gamache series should be read in order. However, if you're late to the game, and want to hit more recent highlights, read A Great Reckoning, followed by Glass Houses. Then you can go to the newest book, Kingdom of the Blind, and pretty much be okay.

But then backtrack to square one to get the stunning back story!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much @insomniac2 for your suggestion! I just downloaded the sample chapter of A Great Reckoning. Definitely late to the game...but now Ready to Read!
Again, thanks for taking the time to advise. 💚