Respected Contributor

I'm thinking about writing a Book

Has anyone on this forum ever written a book and had it

published?  I have 2 book ideas in mind, really given it some thought so I've been writing down some ideas. If you have thought about it, started writing or have written a book how has the process worked for you? did you finish and get it published? still working on it and for how long ?  I know it's different for everyone and it takes time just wanted to get some feedback on your experience. Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm thinking about writing a Book

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Has anyone on this forum ever written a book and had it

published?  I have 2 book ideas in mind, really given it some thought so I've been writing down some ideas. If you have thought about it, started writing or have written a book how has the process worked for you? did you finish and get it published? still working on it and for how long ?  I know it's different for everyone and it takes time just wanted to get some feedback on your experience. Thanks

@Goodie2shoes 

So many things come to mind here .... yes, I have co-authored a book in the 1990s that was published by a major publisher and then translated into French, Spanish and Chinese.  So I know a little bit about the process, but things have changed a LOT in publishing since then.  (No, the book is no longer being re-printed).

So, in no order of importance, are you talking about fiction or non-fiction?   I'm asking if you have ideas for, as an example, a who-done-it mystery .... or are you an "expert" and wish to publish a book about that topic?

Have you written any articles that have been published or posted?   If you can't get your book(s) published, will you consider self-publishing?  

How often do you actually sit down and WRITE?  While anyone can write down ideas, do you write on a regular basis?  If you attracted an agent (or publisher) that would consider representing you and they asked for several examples of your writing, do you have something to give them?

Many authors have written about how to get a book published.  I assume you have already googled that topic, but if not, there's a wealth of information to be had with that search.

(I'm sure I'll come up with more, but I have to run out the door to an appt.  See ya later.)

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

So many things come to mind here .... yes, I have co-authored a book in the 1990s that was published by a major publisher and then translated into French, Spanish and Chinese.  So I know a little bit about the process, but things have changed a LOT in publishing since then.  (No, the book is no longer being re-printed).

So, in no order of importance, are you talking about fiction or non-fiction?   I'm asking if you have ideas for, as an example, a who-done-it mystery .... or are you an "expert" and wish to publish a book about that topic?

Have you written any articles that have been published or posted?   If you can't get your book(s) published, will you consider self-publishing?  

How often do you actually sit down and WRITE?  While anyone can write down ideas, do you write on a regular basis?  If you attracted an agent (or publisher) that would consider representing you and they asked for several examples of your writing, do you have something to give them?

Many authors have written about how to get a book published.  I assume you have already googled that topic, but if not, there's a wealth of information to be had with that search.

(I'm sure I'll come up with more, but I have to run out the door to an appt.  See ya later.)

Thanks for your response !  I'm thinking one book is fiction and it's a childrens book, one is non fiction. I have never written anything before this is all new.  I have been jotting down notes and ideas on a regular basis. I have not checked online as to how to get a book published I didn't know that info was available online but I will certainly look into it.    Thanks so much I really appreciate the info !

Honored Contributor

giphy-1.gif   @gardenman 

@Goodie2shoes   Hopefully, he will see the bat call & advise you.  He has several published books listed on Amazon!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@Goodie2shoes   Yes, I've written five books, all self-published on Amazon. the responses gave some really good advice, e.g., you have to do more than THINK about writing a book. You must DO it.  You can't edit a blank page!

It probably takes me a year to write one of my fiction books, writing every day and thinking through plot points in my head all the time. You would benefit from some writing workshops and/or classes, and you should try to find a writing group you are comfortable with for feedback and support.

The children's market is very compeititive, but not impossible to break into if your ideas and your execution are top notch.

I will just add: Research your genres, Research the markets, check out your library for similar books. You must know your audience. Again, subscribe to good websites and newsletters and get in gear. It's a long, lonely road, but sooo rewarding!

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

giphy-1.gif   @gardenman 

@Goodie2shoes   Hopefully, he will see the bat call & advise you.  He has several published books listed on Amazon!

I've been writing since the 1980s. I've got seventeen books that I've self-published. You can do it. There are a lot of tools out there to help you in your writing. Grammarly (the free version) is one I use a lot. Just be forewarned, there are a lot of predators out there who prey on writers.

Amazon used to have a forum for writers who entered the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest and you would hear horror stories of writers getting taken advantage of. They would get a publishing contract, be given lots of edits to do. Essentially work for free for six months, then have the "publisher" inform them the book no longer met their needs, but the publisher would retain the rights for seven years and if they wanted the book back they'd have to repay any advance they'd gotten, repay them for their editorial oversight, cover design, and other fees. Writers would have to spend $5,000-$10,000 to get their book's rights back. There are a large number of scams targeting writers. Self-publishing is safer and easier. You're in total control. 

Very, very few writers ever make a real living writing, but some do. Write because you have stories you want to tell. Write for yourself. Write stories you'd want to read. You can find an audience.

Kindle Direct Publishing lets you publish your books for free.  You can also do free book giveaways. I do one every Wednesday through Sunday for one book or another. It gets your books into the hands of readers and then you never know what will happen. YA writer Colleen Hoover was in the 2012 ABNA and got eliminated early. She self-published her novel and sold seven copies. She knew who six buyers were (husband, mother, sister, some co-workers) but didn't know who the seventh buyer was. It turned out it was an influential YA critic with a big following on social media. She read the book and raved about it in a blog and sales went through the roof. Colleen then had publishers coming to her. She's now a multimillionaire. It can happen. It's rare but possible. 

Write what you'd want to read. Have fun writing. Don't be afraid to walk away for a bit if you run into a dead-end. Don't go in with wild expectations of success. Use the tools available to you, and have fun. It can be a nice hobby and a good way to express your creativity.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@zitawins @gardenman 

Thank you both for your wonderful feedback and such helpful information !  Whew !! got me wondering do I really want to take on this adventure?  Yes I do !  Taking your advice I will start writing down my thoughts on my first project. I will certainly post my updates to let you know if this idea of mine is moving in a positive direction. Thanks again !!       

Super Contributor

Yes for years my former work colleagues and I talked about this.  Even bought a book on how to write your first novel.  Some of us after we left the giant, well known company in the city to raise a family.  We never did it and most of us are still alive and meet regularly.  This group was spread out over several locations and wow, some of the stories.  We each wanted to take a story line.  A few of us were very young and innocent, did not really get half the stuff until much later.  Great times, great people in a fabulous city all while working for a good company.  

Respected Contributor

I've had a very "interesting" and colorful work history; I'm 73 now and have been self-supporting since I was 19.

My last 2 or 3 years of employment I worked as a temp and, oh boy, the stories I could tell!

My mother worked for 30+ years for a very large bank and the stories she told us kids! (And they were all true.) She became friends with one of her co-workers and they used to joke (or maybe not) that they should collaberate with a book about their experiences and title it, "Bastards I Have Known". 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes

As other posters have said, there are many resources online that can be helpful. I wish you the best if you choose to move forward with writing.