Trusted Contributor

I’m such a library geek . . .

[ Edited ]

When we visit a new town/ city, I make sure we at least go by the library. If there’s time, I make a visit inside. We have a trip planned to Maine next week ( live in west Michigan), and I already have plans for visiting the Portland and Bar Harbor libraries. Anyone else a geek when they travel?37738F64-4330-46A4-8CC9-A823EECE3F24.jpegBTW, this is the main branch of the Saginaw library.

Honored Contributor

Re: I’m such a library geek . . .

That's a beautiful building. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I guess we fit in the same geek category.... I like to visit museums.  My grown daughters and I spent some time in Honolulu.... we went to a wonderful art museum.  It actually was 3 museums in one.... it had a modern art museum, one that had artifacts of the the Pacific and another that had paintings and sculptures.  On the way back to the hotel we stopped at a used book store and picked up a few books to read while we were on the beach or relaxing by the pool.  It was a great day.

Honored Contributor

My daughter's boyfriend's mother gets to pick out all of the books for the libraries where I live.

It's quite a process and a lot more involved (as far as what and how many to order, etc) than I ever realized!

I used to read constantly (I'm a big history buff).  But I have been having trouble with my eyes, so I don't enjoy it like I used to.  (Probably just have cateracts).

My attention span went from short to non-existent!  

I really admire people who read a lot.  My oldest daughter and grandchildren are very avid readers.

OMG!  You would love the huge used book store near me!  It is more organized than the library.

My grandchildren love going there.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, have you tried large print books or audiobooks?

Honored Contributor

That is a beautiful library, @joannecha.  I always want to explore historical neighborhoods.

Honored Contributor

Well, it's more of an attention span thing!  I read but they're usually 2 or 3 pages.  

Respected Contributor

There is a 2.5 hour special running on PBS that is about the New York Public Library. "Ex Libris-New York" . It's also available on demand on my Comcast/Xfinity under PBS channel. I hope you get to enjoy.
Esteemed Contributor

You are not alone @joannecha.  My "hold" list at the library is always stacked.  I am always at my local library.  In fact you will never see me without a book.  It's quite the joke amongst my friends. I especially love going to large libraries in major cities, they are fantastic.  I have been to the Portland library.  

Esteemed Contributor

Have been the both Portland, Bar Harbour and Bangour, Maine libraries many times. Our family has a home off the coast of Portland (Long Island, Maine) which I love to spend a few weeks during the hot summer months. The rest of the year, it's too cold on the island for my blood!

I've been the last generation interested in having the home opened for vacations for many years and haven't been there in several years due to mom's declining health and death. I do enjoy Maine and everything it has to offer, including those fabulous libraries. Their lovely woolen mills in Portland were the first stop for years . . . how I miss them!! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.