Valued Contributor

Re: I’m such a library geek . . .

[ Edited ]

I am a librarian and visit libraries and bookstores wherever I travel and always take photos.  Have never been successful hitting a Paris library when one of them we passed by was open but have managed to visit libraries in the UK, Belgium, Germany, Maui, Seattle and Carmel.  Most memorable was this bookshop in Venice complete with gondola displaying books and a shop cat.

P1010500.JPG

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Small world.  You mentioned your daughter's boyfriend's mother gets to pick out the library books.  I'm always submitting "purchase suggestions" to my county public library!  And nine times out of ten they let me know that my suggestion has been approved for puchase.  Woman Very Happy  

Honored Contributor

@walkingal My guess is you probably have excellent, popular and very good reasons for your suggestions.

I know she often talks about how much (and how appreciative) she is to hear from people who enjoy books.  

There is no way people can keep up with all of the books putting out before the public every day.  

On her behalf and on the behalf of voracious readers (like yourself) I'll take it upon myself to say 'thank you'.

Trusted Contributor

you would love the chapman branch library in salt lakecity utah

it is over 100 years old and is great.

i work for the city system here and i love this branch.  you can look it up at slcpl.org and click on branches.

Regular Contributor

Wobin,that is a fabulous picture, but, OMG, I want that handbag!!!! And the incredibly chic outfit of the lady wearing it!  That outfit makes up for all us tourists who give fashion a bad name! 😄

Respected Contributor

If you visit NYC, you might enjoy staying at The Library Hotel. 

It's located one block from the New York Public Library and themed around the library and reading:

• The front desk has an old NYPL card catalog behind it
  • The hotel is full of bookshelves- they have over 6,000 books
  • The place is arranged based on the Dewey Decimal system and each floor has a theme in accordance
  • Rooms are also themed with art and books to match the Dewer Decimal theme of the floor
  • Every room comes with an advance reader copy of a book from the Simon & Schuster publishing house
  • They have reading rooms and gardens designed for you to sit down and enjoy a book
Respected Contributor

Alison Wonderland, you have presented a perfect fantasy trip--staying at this library hotel! I am seriously going to consider this for the future.

Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland. Thank you for the information on the Library Hotel.  Definitely seems like an ideal place to visit or stay the next time I head to Manhattan.