Respected Contributor

I'm reading Shakespeare's....

"Richard III" and I'm surprised at how easy it is to read. Recently my DH gave me an entire set; and I've been too intimidated but I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did.

I think my next book will be King Lear. "How much sharper than a serpent's tooth (or is it tongue?) is a thankless child!" I suspect a lot of parents have felt that way, one time or another.

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm reading Shakespeare's....

English Major Shakespeare lover here. Last year was the first time in over 35 years that I did not go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland Oregon. I so hope that I will be there in the fall to see Shakespeare plays as well as modern plays.

Honored Contributor

I love Shakespeare. Many years back I had to have a thoracic vent put in and the doc who made the incision said, "There's that not so bad is it?" And I replied with, "Tis not so deep as a well nor wide as a church door, but tis enough, twill serve." (A line from Mercutio to Romeo from Romeo and Juliet after Mercutio has been gravely wounded in a fight.) He looked at me as though I was from Mars, but the nurse was a fellow Shakespeare lover and enjoyed it. She did suggest I not add the next line that follows which is: "Ask for me tomorrow and you shall find me a grave man." Fortunately, I wasn't a grave man the next day. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

"Oh! How full of briars is this working day world!"

I used to quote this often (from As You Like It.)

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Have you ever just listened to the plays? That's a great way to enjoy the Spear-Shaker!

Trusted Contributor

In grade school and high school my father took me to the Folger Library in DC to see Shakespeare. I fondly remember As you Like It. I also remember seeing a riveting version of Jane Eyre there.

In high school and college I went several times to the Stratford, CT theatre for Shakespeare plays. Always wonderfully performed. I saw a young Hal Holbrook play Hotspur. Knew then that he'd go far!

A neighboring town has a Shakespeare in the Park summer festival. Again, As you Like It was a must see for me. Well acted and staged. Don't know if it will return this summer.

Valued Contributor

JUST   FINISHED  DINNER WITH A PERFECT STRANGER  BY DAVID GREGORY   JUST 100 PAGES   LOVED IT