Trusted Contributor

Everything that I’ve begun in the last week has been disappointing and I’ve ended up not finishing the book. Either I was not getting into the story line or the author’s style was a turn-off for me. Granted, these were all books by authors that I’d not read before (Charles Martin, Anne Perry, and Wilbur Smith). When this has happened to me in the past, I have taken a break from reading, and then jumped into something by a favorite author or re-read one of my favories to get back into the swing of things. 

Honored Contributor

Not sure what genre book you like but I love Anne Perry and her "Pitt" and "Monk" mystery books.  Also love Nelson DeMille, Michael Connelly, David Balducci, Sara Parentsky and of course Sue Grafton.  I also like to read biographies and historical fiction.

Honored Contributor

I no longer feel the need to read every book I pick up because I get them from the library. Have several books I purchased that I'm determined to get through.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 Love your choices. I too really like David Balducci, having just been introduced to his books this year. Am on the fifth Will Robie book.

Sue Grafton is also good. Wish she would have finished the alphabet, and am still hoping that she was well into it before she died, so someone can finish it for her.

Absolutely love Jeffrey Archer for his fast-paced books, short chapters, interesting subject matter, and ability to keep my nose in his books until I finish them!

Valued Contributor

I read voraciously, but I, too, tend to get in a rut. I love Anne Perry, Charles Todd, Lee Child and John Sandford. BUT, they're mysteries and thrillers and I find myself missing out on other good new books.

The solution for me: i joined a book club at my local library, and everyone can suggest books. I have read many this year that I would never have chosen except  I feel I must finish them in order to contribute intelligently to the group.

You might want to try that. It just may open up new worlds to you!

Honored Contributor

The best book for me in 2018 was A Gentleman in Moscow by Towles.  I wasn't sure at first, ended up loving it so much I recommended it to my book club -  universal accolades there, too. 

It took me out of my mystery rut and that's been all good for a few months now, but I know I'll go back.  Mysteries are my reading comfort zone.

Honored Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

Everything that I’ve begun in the last week has been disappointing and I’ve ended up not finishing the book. Either I was not getting into the story line or the author’s style was a turn-off for me. Granted, these were all books by authors that I’d not read before (Charles Martin, Anne Perry, and Wilbur Smith). When this has happened to me in the past, I have taken a break from reading, and then jumped into something by a favorite author or re-read one of my favories to get back into the swing of things. 

I understand completely. I'm a big reader but for the last few weeks, nothing has engaged me. I'll be turning in a bag full of library books, none of which have been read. I do like Anne Perry, but not all of her novels are created equally... Some are much better than others...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Re: I’m in a reading rut

[ Edited ]

I'm a huge fan of Anne Perry.  I've read every one of her Thomas Pitt and Wm Monk books.  I love that she addresses social issues while providing a good mystery.  

I've become a fan of the Harry Bosch series (Michael Connelly).  Also the Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais.  And the Monkeewrench series by P. J. Tracy.

For something lighter, there is the Royal Spyness series by Rhys Bowen.  The Jayne Austen series by Laura Levine. The Agatha Raisin or Hamish Macbeth series by M. C. Beaton.  

For a stand alone book, I loved The Passenger by Lisa Lutz. Also Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye (it's a takeoff on Jane Eyre). So many great books.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading Emily Giffin ALL WE EVER WANTED. First read of Giffin's - enjoying it  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I looked at my Goodreads account for books I rated 5 stars.  @joannecha  Here are some of them that may be of general interest, in case you haven't read them. 

Lottery - Patricia Wood 

News of the World - Paulette Jiles

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman

Last Ride to Graceland - Kim Wright

The Last Policeman - Ben H. Winters

If the Creek Don't Rise - Leah Weiss

The Second Mrs Hockaday - Susan Rivers

The Story of Arthur Truluv - Elizabeth Berg

Anything by Alexander McCall Smith