Esteemed Contributor

I just got a Kindle...now what...LOL

I have Amazon Prime and I know I can get books there but what about Kindle Unlimited or is my Library better?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Honored Contributor

Re: I just got a Kindle...now what...LOL

I don't know about you,but I do not care for Kindle books.

Good Luck!

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I have an iPad and downloaded Nook and Amazon Prime on it. If you already have a tablet, you might want to see if you can download the Kindle app.  If you don't, you'll need to decide which one you prefer.  

Regular Contributor

Kindleunlimited is a subscription I think.  Amazon dotcom sends out emails every day with books for 99 cents and above.  Sites like book gorilla dotcom sends emails daily with discounted books available.  I use several of these.  Your library is also great for free current books, bestsellers.  soon you will have lots of books waiting for you.  Enjoy!l

Valued Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I have Amazon Prime and I know I can get books there but what about Kindle Unlimited or is my Library better?

Any tips would be appreciated!

I have a Kindle but I do not subscribe to Kindle Unlimited (KU).  I just buy the books I want or download the books that are free with Prime.  I know KU allows you borrow books.  I think you can borrow 10 at a time.  

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

I live in NY. I have a library card with my local library & the NY Public Library. I do not live near NYC but was able to sign up online as a NY resident. I get all my library books for free- most on kindle but some using overdrive app if kindle version isn't available.

You can put "holds" on books & get them when available. Or just search what is available now. You can borrow them for 21 days. I turn my wifi off kindle once I download books. They will automatically return on due date but don't disappear off your kindle until you turn airplane mode off.

There are free books for Prime members each month. There is also kindle unlimited but it has a monthly fee. Personally I can find things to read without paying. I check goodreads.com for new releases. Then I just keep checking my library online to get on the hold list. 

I recently signed up for the "fussy librarian." They send you emails for free books. Sometimes an author will have a free book but only for a limited time. 

I have several kindles. I remember telling my hubby about kindle when it first came out many years ago. It cost around $400- and sold out shortly after Thanksgiving. Imagine my surprise when Christmas morning there was one under the tree for me! He ordered it as soon as I told him about it (early November maybe)? I wasn't sure I'd like not having a "real" book but I love it! I still have my original one but prefer the 2 Oasis versions I have. I also have kindle fire but prefer the non-fire versions for reading- no glare, especially nice for outdoors.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Regular Contributor

Love Kindle Unlimited !!  I can read and read and read.  Can have 10 books at a time downloaded.  I think they still offer free trial and you can quit anytime if it is not for you. I am a retired librarian and never thought I would use a kindle !!

Super Contributor

@Nataliesgramma, congratulations, I love my Kindle. There are quite a few websites that will email you regarding free/inexpensive books everyday.  You can sometimes get Kindle Unlimited for a reasonable price, sometimes through Slickdeals.com or from Amazon during things like Prime days or close to Thanksgiving. As others have said, the library is a wonderful way to get books. I live in a smaller town in Tennessee, joined our library for the ebooks but found that I can get a library card for mainly ebooks in Nashville for $10.00 a year. They usually have a bigger selection. But, sometimes, my smaller library will have something that Nashville doesn't. 

As others said, I only turn on WiFi when I want to download a book or books. Helps with battery life. 

Here are some websites:

Book Websites

booksends.com

instafreebie.com

BookGorilla.com

BookBub.com

Freebooksy.com

LoveKissebargains.com

Robinreads.com

Kindlebuffet.com

ereadercafe.com

ereaderIQ.com

OHFB.com

Justkindlebooks.com

Bookrebel.com

Ereadernewstoday.com

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  I have an Amazon Fire. I swore that I wouldn't give up my real books, but I totally have!

I always have at least one book to read & one to listen to. It is awesome!

I use Hoopla & Overdrive from the libraries & they have sooo much.

Cookbooks, craft books, biographies, fiction, non fiction.....

My grandsons were reading through so many books that we had to get them used to reading on tablets, because it was costing a small fortune to keep all 5 of them in books.

I hope you love your Kindle.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks everyone!

When Kindles first came out, I swore I would never use one because I liked the feel of a book in my hand...

Times have changes and I can't brouse the Library or go to book sales like I used to.

I'm excited to have access to more books and enjoy reading again.

I find that the small light and option to adjust print size  is just what I need with these old eyes...LOL