Honored Contributor

Re: I have tried. I just don't like ebooks.:(

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@deerfeeder   I have never tried electronic books and have no desire to. I love the feel of holding a book in my hands as I read.  I love to read more than doing anything else. I will be 61 in 2 weeks and have always been an avid reader since elementary school! I pray there will always be books since everything seems to be going the electronic way these days. 

@LuvmyLab I am quite a bit older than you.  I love books.  However I want to give you a couple of things to think about, and tell you how important e-readers have been to me.

First, I had eye issues years ago and the e-books were a God send because I would enlarge the print as much as I like.  Another time more recent, I also could get books on it when I was in the hospital 3 months. That was a huge blessing.  AND all my books were with me, and I could get more books as well.

The second thing is that I do not have to haul around piles of heavy books, or get books in this quarantine period that I would feel might be contaminated in some way.  I can borrow a library book at midnight or on any time the library is closed and I can also return it online--no fines.  

ALSO, on some e-readers you can also to listen to books, a blessing if you are ill or are restricted in movement.  I have ear buds to listen.

I understand loving books, but I also know that having an open mind and trying out e-readers might keep you reading happily should your health or other circumstances arise.  Also, one big thing for me, I can put it down and it goes right back to where I stopped reading!  Woman Very Happy  And you can also read real books too as you wish.

Valued Contributor

Many of my friends felt they had to be "up with the times" and purchased E readers - and hate them!

There is nothing like the feel of a book, or if an older book, the smell of a book.

I for one will never own an E reader - it has nothing to do with the nonsense of being behind the times - it has to do with a deep love for books.

I read non-fiction only and if I want to read a book, I want to own it - I refer back to my books often -  

A question posed  on the boards a while back asked about prized possessions - my answer was my books.  I live in a studio apartment and space will never be a reason for not buying books - there is always room for more.

Honored Contributor

i'm a convert.  I was totally anti-ebooks until 2010 - travelling with my SIL.  She had her Kindle - I had my books.  Then in 2012, I was travelling again and had two German language books and a German dictionary, my highlighters and notebook - they weighed a ton and were clumsy to use in close space when travelling on planes and trains.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I bought my first KIndle in 2012 when I got back from that trip.

I've upgraded to the first Paperwhite and then recently the newer Paperwhite - with extended memory and audible compatible w/blue tooth capability. 

Older research books are on the original.  First Paperwhite holds my fiction, second holds my non-fiction and current research books.  It's easy to move from device to device.

Between the three and the Amazon library I have more then 1200 books.  I have no room in my apartment for more bookcases!

- Instant gratification - 30 seconds after I buy it - it's downloaded and I'm reading.

- I can adjust type size, font and back lighting.  All books can be large print editions!

- Revised editions are free downloads.

- Kindle books costs less than hard copies

- Built-in dictionaries (I have English, French, German and Latin) and Wiki.  Select the word, select the dictionary and get the definition.

- Don't need bookmarks.  Kindle remembers where I left off - on all the books!

- I can highlight and make notes - and search those notes.

- All text is searchable .... it will look through the entire library for particular words, phrases - whatever you are looking for. 

- Read for free with Kindle Unlimited.

- Can download "samples" for free.

- Weighs next to nothing.

I'm sure I will think of more advantages ... but that's enough for now.

----------------

Oh .... and I also have Kindle app on iPhone, Android and laptop.  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

i'm a convert.  I was totally anti-ebooks until 2010 - travelling with my SIL.  She had her Kindle - I had my books.  Then in 2012, I was travelling again and had two German language books and a German dictionary, my highlighters and notebook - they weighed a ton and were clumsy to use in close space when travelling on planes and trains.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I bought my first KIndle in 2012 when I got back from that trip.

I've upgraded to the first Paperwhite and then recently the newer Paperwhite - with extended memory and audible compatible w/blue tooth capability. 

Older research books are on the original.  First Paperwhite holds my fiction, second holds my non-fiction and current research books.  It's easy to move from device to device.

Between the three and the Amazon library I have more then 1200 books.  I have no room in my apartment for more bookcases!

- Instant gratification - 30 seconds after I buy it - it's downloaded and I'm reading.

- I can adjust type size, font and back lighting.  All books can be large print editions!

- Revised editions are free downloads.

- Kindle books costs less than hard copies

- Built-in dictionaries (I have English, French, German and Latin) and Wiki.  Select the word, select the dictionary and get the definition.

- Don't need bookmarks.  Kindle remembers where I left off - on all the books!

- I can highlight and make notes - and search those notes.

- All text is searchable .... it will look through the entire library for particular words, phrases - whatever you are looking for. 

- Read for free with Kindle Unlimited.

- Can download "samples" for free.

- Weighs next to nothing.

I'm sure I will think of more advantages ... but that's enough for now.

----------------

Oh .... and I also have Kindle app on iPhone, Android and laptop.  

I totally agree! ...Plus you can hold all 1200 books in one hand!!!  I think ebooks are one of the greatest inventions...  I'm on my 4th Kindle and love it!

There are pros & cons...I love being able to adjust the font size, carry multiple books in my bag when traveling, and not worry about getting it dirty like I do with a real book if I'm snacking while reading.

I like real books for reference, self help, cooking, etc.