Respected Contributor

I WENT THROUGH 753 BOOKS ON MY TBR LIST ON GOODREADS AND...

[ Edited ]

...culled out 149 books.  I'm down to 603 but would have preferred about 500 not that I'll get to reading anything close to those either.   LOL.  My earliest book is from 2003 I think. 

I do  this once a year and if it wasn't so time consuming (3 days this year), I'd do it more often.  My tastes have changed obviously and I noticed a trend of family books, i.e., sisters going back home for a family illness, inheritating their family home, etc.  You don't realize until you do this how many are so similar.

I wish I kept my # of how many I culled previous years but I didn't keep track.

Until next year!!

Honored Contributor

Re: I WENT THROUGH 753 BOOKS ON MY TBR LIST ON GOODREADS AND...

@SWEET wrote:

...culled out 149 books.  I'm down to 603 but would have preferred about 500 not that I'll get to reading anything close to those either.   LOL.  My earliest book is from 2003 I think. 

I do  this once a year and if it wasn't so time consuming (3 days this year), I'd do it more often.  My tastes have changed obviously and I noticed a trend of family books, i.e., sisters going back home for a family illness, inheritating their family home, etc.  You don't realize until you do this how many are so similar.

Until next year!!

Yep

stopped keeping that TBR 

Respected Contributor

I did that with my online library "wish list" a year or so ago.  I decided to read or remove them off the list. Didn't have quite as many as you do!!!!! LOL

Honored Contributor

Need to monkey around on my library's website. I think there's a way to create a wish list of books. I don't like Goodreads.

Contributor

Over the past two months I've gotten rid of a couple hundred books, both read and unread. I still have more than any person should and it makes me sick to think of the hundreds I still have so I'm getting rid of even more. I too am on Goodreads so it's nice to see how many books I do actually own.

Frequent Contributor

If your library has Overdrive as its system for borrow ebooks, audiobooks, etc., it definitely enables you to create and edit a wish list.  My wish list is getting too long and needs what OP called  culling; I think of it as winnowing.

I've been pretty successful at waitlisting and obtaining ebooks from the library  just when I'm finishing one.  I do read an actual real book occasionally, out of nostalgia.

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

Until next year!!

@SWEET- I'm so proud of you! I still have a few of your lists that you sent me when you had about one zillion books on your TBR list hahahaha

I'm going to do some culling myself. I have closets and drawers to clean out, but here I'll be, sitting at the computer, not breaking a sweat and deleting books from my lists lol

Thanks for the heads up!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

Until next year!!

@SWEET- I'm so proud of you! I still have a few of your lists that you sent me when you had about one zillion books on your TBR list hahahaha

I'm going to do some culling myself. I have closets and drawers to clean out, but here I'll be, sitting at the computer, not breaking a sweat and deleting books from my lists lol

Thanks for the heads up!

@sunala, those were the days before GR and I Shelfari and they didn't give you the count of how many books you had on your tbr I think. Those lists were not as detailed as my spreadsheet now. Yes, I have 2 ways of keeping track.  Don't know why I'm doing a spreadsheet also but must be just in case something happens w/GR?  LOL.  Plus, I use LT but it's not up to date. I mostly use that to win books. 

I also went through my virtual shelves to give to my Little Free Library and others of books that I'll never read that I thought I once would.  I figured I can't read everything and donate to others who might get to it before I do.