Trusted Contributor

I Can't Get a Book to Download on my Kindle

[ Edited ]

I ordered a book through Overdrive, went to Amazon to "Read Libray Book" and it is on my home page and on the Book page, but cannot get it to download.  It has an "x" in the corner.  Any ideas of how I could get it to dowload?  Thanks.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Can't Get a Book to Download on my Kindle

All my paperwhite books are through Libby (kindle/overdrive) and every so often you will run into a non kindle library book.

You will have to read them on a different device.  There are still there, just pick a avenue.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My kindle is about 8 years old, so I don't know if this helps, but make sure it has loaded to your "DEVICE" and not to "CLOUD".  Also recheck overdrive and make sure it did download and that it was a kindle book and not something else.

After that, I would call Amazon Kindle Help.

Trusted Contributor

I get most of my kindle books from my library and every once in awhile I have this problem.  If you check your kindle account on Amazon and it shows that the book is on your kindle when it's not, try rebooting your kindle.  That usually fixes the problem for me.  Good luck!

Frequent Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

I ordered a book through Overdrive, went to Amazon to "Read Libray Book" and it is on my home page and on the Book page, but cannot get it to download.  It has an "x" in the corner.  Any ideas of how I could get it to dowload?  Thanks.

Overdrive doesn't seem to be around anymore. Now you have to download the "Cloud Library" app. "CL" - just have your library card # and pin # - is a lot faster than overdrive.

Valued Contributor

@wismiss, I use Overdrive as well and this happens to me a lot. I restart the kindle and sometimes it still happens. But somehow, by continuously hitting on the book, it eventually downloads. I sometimes go to the Kindle page where the books are listed and hit on it there and that seems to help. Good luck. Even though this has happened numerous times, I have always managed to get them downloaded.

Valued Contributor

@kjayr, Overdrive is still around. I use it all the time.

Contributor

You may have already done this but whenever I have problems downloading a book, I always call Amazon, Kindle support and they help me fix the problem.

Respected Contributor

This is why I use KOBO. overfrive is on the device. No need for a PC  you book is auto delivered to your device