Frequent Contributor

Hoopla Bonus Borrows for May- Any Recommendations?

I was looking at the audiobooks that are bonus borrows for May on Hoopla.  Does anyone have recommendations about any of these?  All are authors I have not read or heard about.  Many books seem to be book one in a mystery series, so I'm trying to decide what sounds good!

Honored Contributor

Re: Hoopla Bonus Borrows for May- Any Recommendations?

I looked 

since they are bonus' check them out and try easy enough to return if you hate them

some don't appear that exciting 

Esteemed Contributor

Not a bonus book, but a very good read.  Oh hoopla "A WOMAN IS NOT A MAN".  It is about the treatment of Arab women, by just being a women. Married off at  young age to a man they do not know, having no rights.  

The story of such a young girl, who left Pakistan for America.  The shame of giving birth to 4 girls, and treated like a slave by her husband.  

The Author has based the story on her own life and the shame of not speaking up.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rissajaneen wrote:

I was looking at the audiobooks that are bonus borrows for May on Hoopla.  Does anyone have recommendations about any of these?  All are authors I have not read or heard about.  Many books seem to be book one in a mystery series, so I'm trying to decide what sounds good!

I haven't read this one ~ but there's an Ann Cleeve book available ~ author of the Vera series. ETA: The Long Call 

My library has a 10 borrow a month ~ upped from 5 and I often don't even use all of those. I'm hesitant at the beginning of the month and then load up in the last week. 

Frequent Contributor

Wow, my library only allows three borrows, which is why I usually check out the bonus borrows.

Esteemed Contributor

Not a bonus book, but I have been reading, The Woman they couldn't silence.  True story. How women in the 1800's that spoke up and were outspoken and smart, were sent to an Asylum hospital  by their husbands and considered insane. 

Also read, A Woman is no man.  How men treat their woman in the islamic world.

Under the Tulip Tree.  What happens to a rich family during the depression, and how the daughter becomes a writer and visits an 100 year old women who was a slave.

A movie, She is the Ocean.  About woman surfers

Also the movie Than came you.  This is with Craig Ferguson and Kathie Lee Gifford.  About a woman whose husband died after many years of marriage and she sets out to see the world.  Goes to Scotland and meets Greg F.  A romatic comedy.  Good.