Occasional Visitor

I love to read a good biography.    Upon cruzing through my local library I came upon the book:   "Lady Blue Eyes" My Life with Frank Sinatra - by, Barbara Sinatra.   Wow, this is a real up close look at not only Frank Sinatra's life, but all the best of Hollywood's icons (Elizabeth Taylor, Ava Gardner, Dean Martin, and the list goes on...) and how they lived back in the day.  The stories she tells are incredible.    So... if you're into such reading, this one is a WINNER!!

Valued Contributor

Re: Hollywood - Back in the Day

@Anna233  I think a better account of Frank Sinatra's life was written by his daughter Tina.   It is called  "MyFather's Daughter: A Memoir.   

It is very well written but more importantly exposes Barbara Marx Sinatra as the gold digger she was.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lauren Bacall's book "By Myself" also delves into the lives of the Rat Pack in the fifties.  It is a good read.

Honored Contributor

Franks first wife Nancy lived to 101 years old. 

Esteemed Contributor

Barbara's book is her story.

Tina's book is her story. 

That's what autobiographies and memoirs are.  I've read both.  These tales are told through the memory and prism of the storyteller with obvious slant.  Bette Davis and Joan Crawford both wrote "autobiographies", but I don't think either gave real insight into their true character  

An academic,  well researched biography is usually the best path to the truth.  There are many on this subject. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read "Lady Blue Eyes" and thought it was nothing more than a name dropping account of how a woman played Frank Sinatra. She related all the expensive jewelry she received and the designer dresses she bought. And how she wanted Frank to adopt her son. Not much else. As a huge Sinatra fan I was disappointed to say the least. 

Respected Contributor

Kitty Kelly wrote a dandy book on ole Blue eyes. My fave.

His Way the Unauthorized Biography of Frank Sinatra by Kitty | Etsy

Honored Contributor

Never understood the hatred for Barbara.  They were married a long time.  Started their affair when she was still married to a Marx brother.  Was Frank not of sound mind when he wrote his will?  He left her what he wanted.  A lot!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Never understood the hatred for Barbara.  They were married a long time.  Started their affair when she was still married to a Marx brother.  Was Frank not of sound mind when he wrote his will?  He left her what he wanted.  A lot!

@Lucky Charm 

Frank & Barbara were married for about 22 years.  She seemed to be his rock, but looks can be deceiving.  Don't understand the hatred, either.

Respected Contributor

Sinatra's youngest daughter, Tina, was interviewed on 60-Minutes a couple years after her dad's passing.  What I learned from that interview and what is probably part of the reason for the resentment toward Barbara is that when Sinatra was on his deathbed, Barbara did not tell his children or let them know about his condition.  And one thing that really surprised me is that Barbara was instrumental in Frank having his first marriage annuled by the church.