Super Contributor

Re: Historical Fiction/Non Fiction

I could second many of the previous suggestions! Another author I love is Sandra Dallas. I don't think anyone has mentioned her yet. Many of her books are set in 1800's or early 1900's. 

Trusted Contributor

Now reading "Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency" by Dan Abrams. Interesting profile of Abe Lincoln.

Contributor

I found a book titled, “When Time Stopped A Memoir of My Father’s War and What Remains” by Ariana Neumann. To sum up, the family was captured by the Nazis. Only a few survived. One of which was the father of Ariana, Hans. Hans eventually wound up in Venezuela. He never spoke of his past experiences with Ariana. After he died he left Ariana with a box of memorabilia. It’s what she’s learned about her family’s past is what the rest of the book is about. I thought it was intriguing. Although, some parts seem to be pretty, oh I don’t know, with what the Nazis have done. I downloaded a sample on my E-Reader in case it got too intense. We’ll see.

Honored Contributor

@PreKteacher wrote:

I could second many of the previous suggestions! Another author I love is Sandra Dallas. I don't think anyone has mentioned her yet. Many of her books are set in 1800's or early 1900's. 

She is wonderful.  It has not been long at all since I read her latest (2020) Westering Women, but am already keep checking to see if a new book from her is out.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Sarum--Edward Rutherfurd.  Wonderful historical fiction.

I love that book!  Also his Princes of Ireland and Russka.  His style reminds me a lot of Michener.

Contributor

I don't have any favorite historical fiction or nonfiction authors. Within the last couple months I read two historical fiction novels- See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt, a retelling of the Lizzie Borden murders. I graded it 4 stars. I read The Butcher's Hook by Janet Ellis and graded it 4 stars.

Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

Very old school....

Cashlemara by Susan Howatch

Have actually read it three times over the decades.....also...the Immigrants Series

I've had that book for 10.5 years and haven't read it yet. I've also had her book Penmarric for 9 years and haven't read that one either.

Contributor

@PreKteacher wrote:

I read her novel Fallen Women in 2013. I gave it 5 stars though I don't remember anything about it now.