Super Contributor

Re: Historical Fiction/Non Fiction

Very old school....

Cashlemara by Susan Howatch

Have actually read it three times over the decades.....also...the Immigrants Series

Esteemed Contributor

@tobe wrote:

Christina Baker Kline has many good books along this line of Historical Fiction.

Anya Seton's ~ The Hearth and Eagle

Lisa Wingate also has many, especially good is The Book of Lost Friends.

Anya Seton's Katherine was one of my first grownup books.  A very fond memory.

Frequent Contributor

"Sarum" was my favorite.

All of his books are very interesting and well done.  New York was another favorite.

Trusted Contributor

@Neetgal2,

I've met my sister from a different mother!  I love historical fiction books.  I should have been this interested in history back in high school.Woman Tongue

I also have read all of Fiona Davis' books, except for the last one - still on my wait list at the library.

And I also am a big follower of WW2 books.  I'm now reading The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel.

Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions! They sound great. I’m starting to get into WWII Fiction but really love Revolutionary War and Civil War Fiction too. I have amongst others, which I realize isn’t Fiction, some of the Bill O’Reilly’s “Killing of....” series.
Honored Contributor

I've been meaning to post these.  These are all fiction but have ties to real things which happened, and some based on real people, and a lot of them about the war.  These are great books, so touching, heartwarming, sad, happy, etc.  I hope you will check some of them out!

The Secret Orphan - Glynnis Peters

Hannah's War - Jan Eliasberg

The Girl They Left Behind - Roxanne Veletzos

The Lost Girls of Paris - Pam Jenoff

Orphan Train - Christina Baker Kline

--- and my favorite one --- 

The Long Flight Home - Alan Hlad

Enjoy!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

I have enjoyed all of Bill O'Reilly's history books and am now reading Killing Crazy Horse.

Honored Contributor

I just finished last week Jennifer's latest book "Mrs. Lincoln's Sisters."  I love all of her books and she has done several regarding Mrs. Lincoln.  One of the Todd sisters had a daughter who was quite the scandal for having affairs.  I did enjoy looking up all the Todd siblings and half-siblings to Mrs.  Lincoln. 

Mrs. Lincoln's Sisters: A Novel

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Contributor

Jennifer Chiaverini’s books sound quite interesting! I want to read them at some point. The same goes for Bill O’Reilly’s books. I’m in the beginning of Lynne Cheney’s “Virginia Dynasty” what I’ve read so far is pretty good. I have just too many good books and I need to save some time during the day to read them!
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would recommend books by Marie Benedict.

I've enjoyed:  The Other Einstein...about the relationship with his wife

Carnegie's Maid....Andrew Carnegie's forbidden relationship with his mother's personal maid and how she showed him the importance of sharing his wealth

The Only Woman in the Room...a Jewish family  ncourages their daughter to marry to protect themselves from the Nazi's.  She learns some of their secrets being the only woman in the room.  She is scientifically minded, along the way helps create a part to help fight the war...a part that was fore runner to our communications systems today.  She eventually escapes to America and becomes a very famous actress...I'll leave that as a surprise.