Frequent Contributor

Hello all,

I am trying to remember a title of a mystery book that I no longer own.  It was a modern mystery set in England and was very twisty with an unreliable narrarator that makes the reader question if a crime has really been committeed, and if so was the main character involved.

The main character is unhappy in her job and her rocky marriage, and both her husband and family keep acting like they're worried about her.  Her cheating husband exploits this, setting up an elaborate scheme to make her believe that she saw something that wasn't real in an attempt to driver her crazy. 

He stages it so that she follows a woman that she believes he's having an affair with.  This woman is a real estate agent, and the main character follows her to a house for sale.  Trying to catch her husband cheating, the main character peeks in the windown and sees the other woman lying on the floor in a pool of blood.  The reader is left to wonder if the main character killed her, the husband killed her, or if there was any murder at all because there doesn't seem to be a body.

It seems to me that I remember an expensive patterned dress being important in this story.  

Does this sound at all familiar to anyone?

Respected Contributor

Re: Help me name this book...

I don't read the type of book you described but googled.........

There is a group on Good Reads called "what's the name of that book" 

"Can't remember the title of a book you read? Come search our bookshelves. If you dont find it there, post a description on our UNSOLVED message board and we can try to help each other out."

Honored Contributor

Author?

Honored Contributor

@rissajaneen Oooh, that sounds like a book I would love to read! If you ever get the info, please come back and post it!

Is somewhat similar to the classic movie "Gaslight".

This sounds kinda like, instead of a whodunit, did anyone "dunit"!!

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 If she knew the author she could likely do a search under the name for the book title! I hope she figures it out as I enjoy mysteries like that.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh what a tease!!!!  Now I am going to fret the rest of the day.  Sounds wonderful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rissajaneen Hello. If you put this article title into your search bar and look at the list you might see the book you are looking for. Hope this helps. "50 Must Read Books With Unreliable Narrators." You can also use the word'gaslighting' when you are searching for the book. 

Honored Contributor

@rissajaneen @You can also put this, popular gaslighting books at Good Reads into your search. There's a long list that will pop up.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  I still have not figured it out but will let you know if I do!

Trusted Contributor

For some reason, Sophie Hannah (author's name) keeps popping into my head re: your description. I'm going to check further! Hmmm.....