Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever made yourself finish a book even though you didn't enjoy it?!

I am an avid reader and I use to feel like if I got a book and didn't like it I still needed to finish it. Now however I don't want to waste my time on a book I am not really enjoying. If I don't like it then I just move to the next one. Reading for me is a pleasure and a hobby. I do understand though how you can get drawn to characters and feel like you have to see what happens with them even if the story line is not your favorite kind.

Respected Contributor

I used to be adamant about finishing any book I read, but then I read a cozy mystery book that was SO awful, I skipped to the end to see who did it, then walked directly to the dumpster and tossed the book inside. Normally I cringe at the idea of throwing a book away, but that book was garbage and I did not want to subject anyone else to it.

And that's when I decided that life was too short and there are too many great books for me to spend much time with a book I don't enjoy.

There are some unfinished books I pick up again later and enjoy much more on a second try because the reason I did not originally enjoy them wasn't bad writing, but me not being at the right place in my life to be able to appreciate the story.

Honored Contributor

At this stage of my life, if I can't get into a book I just let it go. Life is too short to waste my time. The same goes for lousy movies and tv shows.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Years ago I did. No longer. I have too many books that I really want to read that I no longer plod through eh books. Movies the same. If the story doesn’t interest me strongly I put it down. I have 443 books on my shelf on my library list, 135 movies on line at Netflix, not counting saved movies which are not yet available.

My husband convinced me to do this, he was right.

Respected Contributor

I always used to finish a book, regardless of how much I disliked it.

Then I read a very grisly one, and I thought--FORGET IT. This has helped me to abandon other books.

Honored Contributor

No

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Well, not really. What I usually do is, I will skim through it and read the ending. I did that with 50 Shades of Gray or is Grey.LOL

Honored Contributor

@on the bay Yes, there are books I have not finished, mostly because I am just not into the topic.

One I had to stop reading because I was having bad dreams (a Stephen King novel).

But I have to tell you that I hope you can finish A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I read it -- twice -- and I saw even more things in it upon the second reading. Mr. Lily, my Mom and a spiritual uncle all read and thoroughly enjoyed it. And in a few years, I will read it again.

Hang in there, EEL Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

No, there are so many more choices to move on to that are better.

Respected Contributor

It's very seldom that I totally give up on a book.  There are some that I know within two chapters that it's not for me.  But if I've read at least 25% and I'm not that into it I usually just skim it to the end.  It doesn't take very long and most of the time I feel like I got all the major plot points.