Frequent Contributor

Re: Have you ever contacted the author of a book you enjoyed?

When I was teaching 6th grade, I had a student who wrote very scary stories. He also read Stephen King books. I suggested he send a story with a letter to Stephen King. I was able to find his address in Maine. Only a short time later, the student received a hand-written letter from him. I loved the message he sent- keep writing, but most importantly, he told him to keep reading. Not just his books. He told him to read all genres. I have had respect for Stephen King since then. He took the time to write a personal letter to a young boy. I am sure that student still has that letter. 

Trusted Contributor

What a nice way to encourage your student!!!! A wonderful memory for both of you!
Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, I sent an e-mail to Dean R. Koontz. I was reading a three part series, and the third book although advertised to be released by a certain date was already a year past due. I wrote to him telling him how much I enjoyed his books and inquiring into when the third book would be released. He did respond to me thanking me for reading his books, and explaining to me the reason why he had not written the third book. The series was set in New Orleans, and he told me that he could not wreck more havoc on the city, after Hurricane Katrina. He just did not have it in him to write the third book at that time. Eventually, he did finish the series and I was able to read the conclusion of the story. 

Honored Contributor

I've been in contact with one particularly famous author.  Barbaa Mertz who wrote under the name Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels. First time I met her was to a book signing.  I didn't know at the time when I purchased the book to be signed, that the heroin of the book had the same name as myself.  When she asked me my name, she smiled and wrote something in the book.  I didn't realize later what the message meant till I started to read the book.  Another time was several years later at a local college she was speaking at.  She remembered me!  I didn't realiz till later that she was a kind of neighbor to me.  We lived less then 2 miles apart. Later she wrote me a note telling me how she enjoyed our conversation.  She died in 2013.  I felt like a lost a friend, in addition to losing my favorite author.  

Trusted Contributor

I emailed Jane Isenberg about her Bel Barrett mystery series.  She was gracious and answered my question about the spelling of her main character's name.

I also emailed Jan Dunlap about her Bob White mystery series.  I wrote her a simple fan email and she contacted me several times about new books and asking me me to write reviews on Amazon.  

My book club has twice read books by local authors and had the authors come to our book club meeting.  Both times the meetings were very good experiences.  

Respected Contributor

I emailed Lisa See.  She did write back, answering my question.  Nice!

Stephen King has also written a book about writing, for people who write, so he must have been delighted to hear from a young writer.  

Honored Contributor

Once. He was a history prof at Harvard, And wrote several books about early modern Germany. I read all his books and decided to look him up and send an email. I did and he apparently appreciated it and sent me a copy of his new book.
Esteemed Contributor

not author of any books but

when my kids were little a guy did  Cassettes of lullabies with the baby's name in it and I contacted him & he responded

when my son was a teen he ordered some art and he was in contact with the artist for a while

my brother is a huge John Lennon fan and he was thrilled when Julian Lennon responded to him

Honored Contributor

I asked Ernest Borgnine to sign his memoir for me at a convention several years ago.  There was an pretty decent autograph fee (he was actually there for his acting endeavors). 

He was so taken that I had his book and asked him to sign it, he refused my money.  He also asked me if I had bought the paperback because there was more in it.  I told him I'd put it on my list to find out how bad he had been the second time around. 

We both got a great moment out of it .  It's one of my treasured books on the shelf.