Honored Contributor

Have any books inspired your food choices?

I recently read Anne Hillerman's Song of the Lion.  The main character drinks apricot tea so I thought, why not?  I am now a fan of Tazo's apricot vanilla creme white tea.  It doesn't specify the tea brand in the book.  That's just the one I found most readily in local stores.

Once I read a passage in one of Lee Child's Reacher books that Reacher made himself a grilled cheese sandwich, so naturally, it being lunchtime and all, I had to make myself one of those.  (This was a few years ago and I eat very little, if any, cheese these days.)

Anybody else find inspiration in books about either longterm food choices or spur-of-the-moment ideas?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Have any books inspired your food choices?

Whenever I read a book that takes place in 19th century England, and they ring for the tea tray, I wish I could do the same . 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach

I was inspired by your mention of Tazo Apricot Vanilla Creme White Tea (sounds yummy!), I just placed an order from Amazon. Can't wait to try it!

Trusted Contributor

I haven't tried this myself, but am curious as there's a popular author that writes western romances and back in the pioneer days they'd add an egg into the pot of coffee. I think about it, but can't bring myself to try it. Ha ha

Honored Contributor

@StraytoStaywrote:

I haven't tried this myself, but am curious as there's a popular author that writes western romances and back in the pioneer days they'd add an egg into the pot of coffee. I think about it, but can't bring myself to try it. Ha ha

I just looked this up, @StraytoStay, and apparently it is supposed to make the coffee smoother and less bitter.  But like you (if I still drank coffee), I'd be hesitant!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@Diva on The Qwrote:

@GingerPeach

I was inspired by your mention of Tazo Apricot Vanilla Creme White Tea (sounds yummy!), I just placed an order from Amazon. Can't wait to try it!

It's good stuff! I drank a lot of it over Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

Fried Green Tomatoes after reading the book and watching the movie a number of times, I had to see what all the talk was about, they happened to have a booth of Fried Green Tomatoes at the MN State Fair so I had to try them, and they are as good as everyone in the book and movie claimed, every year we go it is our first stop now!

Respected Contributor

Louise Penny's books contain the most appetizing food choices. Every time a character eats in the bistro, for example, I just want to be there too!

Honored Contributor

Well, after reading The Help, I didn’t want to eat chocolate pie for awhile. 

Trusted Contributor

I've also wanted to try Johnny cakes after reading a book by Betty Brooks. I still haven't but plan to.