Respected Contributor

Has anyone read "All the light we cannot see"?

My daughter recommended this to me and I just haven't been able to get into it.  I am bad I usually like a book to interest me right away.  If you read it did it take you a while to get into it?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone read "All the light we cannot see"?

@spumoni99

You are not alone, I could not get into that book at all either and gave up on it.  And I do like that genre - I thought The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah was excellent.

Respected Contributor

I bought the paper back version but I am also on the waiting list for the audiobook from the library, maybe the audiobook will be better?

Esteemed Contributor

I read it and was fascinated by the concept of the book. 

Honored Contributor

About All the Light We Cannot See

Anthony Doerr’s All the Light We Cannot See tells the story of two teenagers during World War II (WWII), one a blind girl in Nazi-occupied France, the other a German orphan boy pressed into service by the Nazi army.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was recently tempted to buy this book on Amazon, because I had noticed it was really popular for a while now, and I had just read that a mini-series or movie is being made based on it, and I thought it might be something good to read.

So, I started reading reviews of it, on Amazon.  While the plot sounded interesting, one reviewer gave an in-depth review and quoted  many sentences from it that really changed my mind.  The style just seemed so over-flowery, illusions that didn't even make much sense to me, just overblown words and phrases maybe in the attempt to be poetic or artsy, but after reading them, I knew the book was not something I would really enjoy.

I'll give it a pass and watch in in film form, I guess.

Frequent Contributor

I have and I did not like it.  

I can see how it is a great story.....just wasn't for me.

Valued Contributor

@spumoni99  Oh, I must disagree with those who didn't like this book. I've read it twice and will buy it to re-read. It's a literary gem, full of insights on relationships, family, and what war does to them. I loved it!

I understand the new series based on it is running on Netflix. I will have to get a subscription just to see how they handled it. From what I've heard from those who have both read the book and seen the series, it's good (although I believe they changed the ending).

Just thought I'd put in my nickel.

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@spumoni99

You are not alone, I could not get into that book at all either and gave up on it.  And I do like that genre - I thought The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah was excellent.

@itsmetoo I loved "The Nightingale" and found it very memorable and moving.  However I read, "All the light that we cannot see" for my book club a few years ago and it was so unmemorable (to me) that I don't remember reading it but I know that I did.

Respected Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

@spumoni99  Oh, I must disagree with those who didn't like this book. I've read it twice and will buy it to re-read. It's a literary gem, full of insights on relationships, family, and what war does to them. I loved it!

I understand the new series based on it is running on Netflix. I will have to get a subscription just to see how they handled it. From what I've heard from those who have both read the book and seen the series, it's good (although I believe they changed the ending).

Just thought I'd put in my nickel.

Thank you for the input, I will give it another chance.