Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone read The 7 1/2!Lives of Evelyn Hardcastle

I am about 125 pages in. Highly rated on Goodreads, over 4*. Not really in love with it. Should I keep going? TIA. LM
Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone read The 7 1/2!Lives of Evelyn Hardcastle

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom 

Can't help you because I haven't read it, but I own it, I bought it because of someone or a few someones here so though I can't help you I know someone will.

FYI got the UK (thanks for the correction, @smoky22 )  version and it's minus half a death, it's

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.  

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom  It's The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.  According to Goodreads I read it in December and probably reviewed it then.  It's complicated.  People are not who they seem to be.  It's very original and I think people have rated it more highly on that aspect.  I did give it 4 stars because it was clever.  I didn't really connect with any of the characters, but it wasn't really that kind of book.    

ETA:  The book title was changed to The 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle for publication in the US.  The original title was too close to another book published around the same time (The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo).

Oh, sorry, I got that mixed up.  The original title was just The 7 Deaths.  For the US it was changed to the 7 1/2 Deaths.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori @smoky22 , I couldn’t take it.  I skipped ahead to the last 50 pages and I am glad I did.  It just about drove me up the wall lol.  On I go, about 15 pages left to read and then to the next book.  When I ask myself every time I pick up the book why I’m reading, time to move on.  Thanks for the feedback.  LM

Occasional Contributor

Ugh!   I, too, picked up the book due to recommendations from friends.  Kept trying to get into it and it just wasn't happening.  Returned book to library without even reading the ending since I just didn't care to waste any more time on a book that I couldn't get into. 

Respected Contributor

No, but I read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I read it last fall as soon as it was released. I loved it but you have to really stay on the ball and focused with it.  Never read anything like it before.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I read it last fall as soon as it was released. I loved it but you have to really stay on the ball and focused with it.  Never read anything like it before.

It wouldn't be a good choice for me. I read in bed and I sure don't need to be 'on the ball and focused' when I read. I have insomnia so that would be all I need! Thanks for telling me.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

It wouldn't be a good choice for me. I read in bed and I sure don't need to be 'on the ball and focused' when I read. I have insomnia so that would be all I need! Thanks for telling me.

You would be better not reading before bedtime.  I had to turn back pages from time to time to reread.  There are more than one experiencing the "groundhog day" effect.  So it can feel like juggling balls or lives so to speak.  Not the Mitford series for sure @Judaline 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012  @Judaline 

I can't read in bed because it puts me right to sleep no matter how good the book.  That wasn't always the case, I used to do my most and best reading in bed.

BeckyB, I bought it and I'm wondering because it's sooooooooo long...does it get boring ever? 

Even The Magpie Murders, which I loved, bored me at times and it wasn't nearly as long.