Honored Contributor

Has anyone here read Small, Great Things by Jodi Piccoult?

Is it worth reading? My sister in law gave it to me and said this is very disturbing!

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone here read Small, Great Things by Jodi Piccoult?

@CANDLEQUEEN I have not but I gave up reading all her novels a few years back, I just did not enjoy them at all.  I looked up just now the synopsis of the one your are referring to and it does indeed look disturbing.  If you do read and enjoy it let me know I may give her another chance since it as been awhile. I certainly trust your opinions.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I have; it's a unique and absorbing story.

Really thought-provoking and helps you better understand what minorities and outliers have gone through.  If you have an open mind and like reading about other people's experiences you'll find it interesting, especially re: our culture.

BTW, it has excellent reviews - see Amazon, etc..

Honored Contributor

My sister in law's book club read it, she said I won't say I enjoyed it, it is very very thought provoking and disturbing. I may give it a try. Will post if I do.....

Respected Contributor

I'm an avid reader and when I read the description of this book I decided it wasn't for me. 

Respected Contributor

I read it.  I would recommend it, but it is tough emotionally.  Some readers just like happy books; this is not a happy story.  Maybe that's why some don't encourage others to read it.

Jodi Picoult is an author who always makes me think.  Her books do not always end the way I want them to, but she gets me out of the frame-of-mind that the world we live in is clearly black and white.  By that I mean there is always an absolutely correct position and an absolutely wrong position on a moral issue.  She makes me consider the "gray" areas.   I think Jodi Picoult is an important American writer. 

Regular Contributor

I have read this book twice. Each time I read it, I loved it more. I have never read a book more thought provoking and timely as Small Great Things. As for it being disturbing: white supremicists are disturbing and the details of the organization and how a person becomes involved is well-researched and enthralling. The character development is spot-on! I work in a library and this is always a book I recommend to patrons and it is always on my "Staff Picks" list. Please do not let the other comments scare you off. I really believe this book is one that deserved all the accolades it received. 

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN :

P.S:  it's also about family, justice, and redemption, and ends on a positive note.

Super Contributor

I don’t read her books, but this one I didn’t care for. But I really recommend Nineteen Minutes. It had stayed with me. It sounds dismal, but really isn’t. It shows the effect a 19 minute event has on all the people involved or effected. There isn’t a perfect ending, but a realistic and just ending.
Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN I have not but I gave up reading all her novels a few years back, I just did not enjoy them at all.  I looked up just now the synopsis of the one your are referring to and it does indeed look disturbing.  If you do read and enjoy it let me know I may give her another chance since it as been awhile. I certainly trust your opinions.

I refuse to read this author as she badmouthed a person because,they left a bad review of her book.  What a crybaby!