Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever sold books to half price books?

Thanks everyone.  I think I will continue dropping them off whenever I go to my son's home.  At their library they have one of those green donation bins and the books go to Better Worlds Books.

Honored Contributor

We have a small "buy back" book store that sells a good amount of used books.  They'll take in what they don't have alot of titles in already.

If you buy a book there, they'll buy that back at slightly less.

Respected Contributor

The price I have gotten is usually minimal, especially since many of mine are older.  I might have gotten 1$ or little more for popular books that are used.  If I am going there I might take some there since I figure I am supporting a business that provides me with reasonably priced books.  I have also donated elsewhere. You are not going to be making anything substantial, I think. I also figure if I haul there I don't want to haul again and they will probably recycle responsibly.

Trusted Contributor

I have sold books there several times and it's kind of a hassle. You lug your own books in and then you wait for them to call your name. It's normally been a long wait for me, usually about 30 minutes or more. Then they give you very little for your books, even best sellers and new hardbacks. Every time I go, I say it's my last time. But I then figure a few dollars is better than having the books sit around my house!

Valued Contributor

HPB wants (only) new books and you'll get about $1-2 a book. I think they give you store credit, maybe you can wait for a check but I am not sure. They no longer sell many older books as most of their inventory is new books at almost full price. I will sell back the few books I have to buy for my book club reading if they are newly published or popular. I will not take loads of old books in to sell, you either lug back the ones they won't buy or you "donate" to them to do something with. 

Contributor

Not worth the hassel. I donate mine. 

Super Contributor

I did it once I will never do it again.  I sold 2 huge boxes of books & got $5.00.

Super Contributor

I did it once I will never do it again.  I sold 2 huge boxes of books & got $5.00.

Some were hardbacks I never read.