Respected Contributor

Has Anyone read Melissa Rivers new book?

As soon as I heard about Melissa Rivers book "Lies My Mother Told Me", I purchased it through Amazon.

I always enjoyed Joan Rivers on TV and saw her live in  Boston

years ago. She did push the envelope in her live show and I preferred seeing her on TV, where there were limits on what she could say. I loved seeing her on QVC with Kathy Levine. They were too funny together. I miss Joan and Kathy.

Well, I finished the book by Melissa and it left me sad and disappointed. I'm not a prude, but this book was filled with so

much unecessary swearing and constant explicit $*xual referrances. Supposedly, she is quoting her mother and I can't imagine any mother saying such things to her daughter.

I have three middle aged daughters and we have never had such vulgar conversations. It's not that we have never talked about $*x, but not with such crudeness. I do have one daughter

who will drop the occassional F bomb, but not in every conversation.

This book does not honor the memory of her mother. I would think that Melissa would be embarrassed to have her 21 year old son, Cooper read this book. She is trying to be humorous, a little too hard and not in a good way. She could have been funny without all the vulgarity.

I'm curious if anyone else has read this book and what kind of impression it made, positive or negative.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone read Melissa Rivers new book?

@Enufstuff I can't stand Joan Rivers' daughter and would never read anything "written" by her.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff    Perhaps instead of spending her time writing books dishonoring her mother, Melissa should have given some attention to her mother's cratering clothing and jewelry line.  The business seems to be dead and disappearing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids I don't care for Melissa either but have to remember that Joan was pretty foul mouthed in real life.

Honored Contributor

@colleena I agree and didn't care for her, either. 

Valued Contributor

@Enufstuff  I'm glad you posted about this book. I wanted to buy it but I won't be now.  I'm like you , where I thought it would be honoring Joan's memory in a good way but not filled with so much garbage,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't be surprised about the book because one of the reasons I never watched JR is that as a stand up comedian she was pretty vulgar.  I rarely found her to be "funny."

Regular Contributor

Never liked that fur hag Joan Rivers and her talentless daughter with a horrible voice.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff What did you expect?  Joan's act was always very different off of tv and she was well known for shock value.  Why would you expect a lot different from her daughter--who was from a much more liberal and outspoken era?

So why did you finish the book?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe not on QVC but Joan Rivers was vulgar and crude.  That was her popularity as a comic.  While I did not particularly care for her clothing, I did find her humor to my liking!  I would tend to think her daughter's book was quite truthful.  She was who she was.