Esteemed Contributor

Has Anyone Read "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl?

I've had this book on my shelf for several years, but I haven't read it yet. I hear from many people that this is the very best book they've ever read.

I do want to read it so that I can understand what it is about it that people rave about, but I don't feel like getting depressed over yet another holocaust book.

What do you all think?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Read "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl?

[ Edited ]

@sunala  I read it (audio download).  I don't remember much about it.  I think it's a short book.  Maybe I'll give it another listen.

I don't recall it as despressing.  From reading a description at amazon it's about coping with suffering, finding meaning in it and moving forward with renewed purpose.

Keepin' it real.
Occasional Visitor

This is not another holocaust book. Frankel does talk about some nasty things he endured, but that is not the focus of the book. I found it to be inspiring as he teaches us how to endure life. I recommend reading when one is depressed as there is comfort to be found. I have read other books by him and I still remember a male patient who was distressed that his wife had died, and he then went on how his wife would not have been able to brave life without him.  Dr. Frankel told the man he was lucky that his wife had died first. The man was then able to go on with his life.

Esteemed Contributor

I read this book some years ago.  I remember it as a testimony to the human spirit.  Of course, in order to recount how he managed to survive ultimate evil, it was necessary to talk about the evil he and other innocents endured.  I would recommend this book.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, my friends. I now have the book on the top of the book pile on my night table. I will start it when I can just lie down and relax. I look forward to reading it.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

It's a deeply moving and inspiring book -- a powerful personal testimony on finding meaning in suffering and living in gratitude.  I can't imagine anyone who would not benefit from reading it.