Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Read The Handmaid's Tale?

[ Edited ]

@smoky22, these productions are Canadian as you know.  They were produced by Sarah Polley who is Canadian as well.  They were on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp).  Check your iPad or your computer.  I bet you can stream the shows.  Also, if you have Apple TV, you can stream through your iPad to your tv at no cost.  

When I was much younger (mid teens) I read Surfacing by Margaret Atwood.  I remember thinking how depressing it was.  I should do a re-read.  My sister was doing a Canadian Lit course in university and I shadowed her reading list.  Too young to appreciate some of them.  One of my absolute favourites was Mordecai Richler.

I get why my younger self didn’t enjoy some of the books.  Both of these productions (The Handmaid’s Tale and Alias Grace) are provocative in a dystopian kind of way.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Alison Wonderland@CANDLEQUEEN@smoky22, there is a season 2 coming for The Handmaid’s Tale.  I think it airs in June.  LM

Respected Contributor

I have a copy I will eventually get to it yet

Frequent Contributor

Read it when it and out 30 years ago.  Now I'm reading it again and waiting for Season Two on Hulu.  Cannot believe how the hatred of women is alive and well .

Frequent Contributor

Atwood is an acquired taste.  When I was younger I rarely finished one of her novels.  But now at 68 I have returned to some of her novels and am enjoying them.

The Handmaids Tale alarmed me in my 30's .Seeing the warnings of current forces who are taking away any aspect of materinty care, childcare..everything anti-women I truly believe something like what the the book explains so well.

Frequent Contributor

It's on HULU.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland@CANDLEQUEEN@Cherylou@Cherylou@Lilysmom

We are watching this show... first on tv then now continuing on Hulu.

Signed up for 1 month free trial on Hulu.

This is the second season and just finished the third episode. Something about this is so intoxicating.

Like always, I want explanations and rarely get them in futuristic shows. Still, they draw me in.

This could happen...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@Alison Wonderland@CANDLEQUEEN@Cherylou@Cherylou@Lilysmom

We are watching this show... first on tv then now continuing on Hulu.

Signed up for 1 month free trial on Hulu.

This is the second season and just finished the third episode. Something about this is so intoxicating.

Like always, I want explanations and rarely get them in futuristic shows. Still, they draw me in.

This could happen...

I have not yet seen season two and I am speaking of the book, not the show. It's not that this COULD happen, @LTT1, this HAS happened. Margart Atwood has stated many times that the things that happen in The Handmaid's Tale have already happened in human history, just not all at once or all in the same place. Some of them are happening to women now, either in small sects or pockets of reglious groups or on a national level.

Here are some articles about the events that inspired The Handmaid's Tale. For anyone who has not yet read the book or watched the show, these articles have spoilers!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/c7bbe6fc-f452-4015-acdb-719ff8e5d389

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/horrors-handmaids-tale-arent-just-fiction-many-have-already/

http://ew.com/books/2017/03/08/margaret-atwood-handmaids-tale-reality/

https://www.stylist.co.uk/books/handmaids-tale-channel-4-tv-show-spoilers-books-real-life-true-event...

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22, I watched both on CBC (Canada Broadcasting Corp).  The author and producer are Canadian.  I just googled and see that it is available on Netflix.  Try again? I wonder if there is a Canadian and US version of Netflix?  I am sure I have seen others post about it here.  HTH.  LM