Honored Contributor

Has Anyone Read Any Of James Patterson's Book Shots?

I've been seeing a lot of advertisments for James Patterson's line of books called "Book Shots".

The advertising says it each book is  150 pages or less.  That sounds like something I might be interested in reading.  

I was wondering if anyone here has read any of these books and if so if he (or she) feels like they were entertaining.

Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to post.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Read Any Of James Patterson's Book Shots?

Yes, I read "CROSS KILL", which was 113 pages.  It was okay.  I always enjoy the Alex Cross books, although this certainly was very short.  If you are a fan of the series, you'll enjoy it.  I saw that the Book Shot called "LITTLE BLACK DRESS" had very poor reviews, so I didn't reserve that one.  There is one coming out called "THE TRIAL", which features the ladies from the Women's Murder Club books, so I did reserve that one, as I like that series.  I think there is one coming out soon from the Michael Bennett series as well.

Respected Contributor

I use to enjoy James Pattersons books very much, especially Alex Cross.  But I think he is just to commercial now and doesnt even write all of his books himself anymore.  Something has been lost.

Trusted Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

I use to enjoy James Pattersons books very much, especially Alex Cross.  But I think he is just to commercial now and doesnt even write all of his books himself anymore.  Something has been lost.

I saw an interview with him at his home and he was showing the reporter where he files all of his book ideas and was talking about these new short books.  I don't remember the exact number but it was more than 100 outlines, in various forms, that he had for his regular and these new books.  He also mentioned something about having, I think it was at least 15 authors, who were actually writing these books, supposedly under his supervision.   Seems like an assembly line to me and I won't be buying any of these.  I prefer a book that has a little more plot and character study.  

Esteemed Contributor

Patterson is not the only author that has started doing these Book Shots.  I recently got a e mail from Amazon promoting these short books written by two other authors that I read a lot.  Can't remember who they were right now.

Super Contributor

I haven't read any of his short stories but accidentally picked up a "young teen" book written by him.  I have to say I quite enjoyed this book, much more so than the ones under his name that have been written lately.

Super Contributor

I am a fan of James Patterson and was just about to post and ask about these book shots.  Have not read any but I think I will give one a shot.

I just finished Linda Scottoline's  Keep Quiet and it was wonderful.

Respected Contributor

@PhatCat wrote:

I haven't read any of his short stories but accidentally picked up a "young teen" book written by him.  I have to say I quite enjoyed this book, much more so than the ones under his name that have been written lately.

LOL, I think Maximum Ride series were the last Patterson books I read.  Also for younger readers.   

I don't like book shots myself, but I buy them anyway from authors that I love.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I enjoy his stand alones and his NYPD Red series.

The Bookshots are OK for someone who likes short stories.  I enjoy having Alexa read them to me.  I think of them as fillers while I am waiting for "holds" to appear at the library and at the OverDrive site.