[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@rustee wrote:

Finished
Sleepwalker by Bohjalian (OK)

about to start
Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
(influential people perish in a private plane crash ~

conspiracy or bad luck?/OverDrive audiobook)

@rusteeI just read Before the Fall two days ago and I loved it. I posted about it yesterday. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

@sunala

I am enjoying Before the Fall very much. In my mind, it is part cautionary tale.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Happy New Year ~ What Are You Reading~January 2017

Somewhere I got a list of crime books and this was one of the top ten of the summer of 2016 I believe.  It is called Kill Fee by  Owen Laukkanen.  It was a pretty good read.  Check out the storyline on Goodreads.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you liked the Alex McKnight mysteries by Steve Hamilton, the author couldn't find a publisher for these anymore and has a new hero named Nick Mason. I am only reading it because I like the author and yes, he does write well. It's about a guy in prison (Nick) for 20 years who gets out after five years by signing a contract with a kingpin in the prison. He signs a contract with this lord of the prison without knowing or caring what he has to do when he gets out. They give him a five million dollar condo in Chicago and 10K a month. All he has to do is answer the phone when it rings and do what they tell him. Whatever  they tell him. He doesn't know if he can do what eventually he finds out he must do-whenever that phone rings-but he's out. I like it so far.

Occasional Contributor

I just finished reading GARDEN of LETTERS by ALYSON RICHMAN, it's set in WWII in Italy.  I have now started THE SNOW CHILD by EWOYN IVEY.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline, I heard something about this Alex McKnight book.  I don't know if I read the book.  I think I PTB.  I really liked Steve Hamilton as an author.  I think I read all of his previous books.

On another topic, do you remember Giles Blunt?  He wrote a detective series about a Detective John Cardinal.  This series is now a TV series called Cardinal.  I saw the first show this past week and it is very well done. You know how you have this image of the male lead in your mind and then they ruin in the show?  Like Jack Reacher being played by Tom Cruise?  Well, they got a good lead in this series.  I am interested to see more.

I think my favorite book by Giles Blunt was Forty Words for Sorrow.  I must look and see if he has done anything recent.  LM

Honored Contributor

@sunala

Just wanted to let you know I loved Ordinary Grace.  Thanks for the encouragement!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Judaline, I heard something about this Alex McKnight book.  I don't know if I read the book.  I think I PTB.  I really liked Steve Hamilton as an author.  I think I read all of his previous books.

On another topic, do you remember Giles Blunt?  He wrote a detective series about a Detective John Cardinal.  This series is now a TV series called Cardinal.  I saw the first show this past week and it is very well done. You know how you have this image of the male lead in your mind and then they ruin in the show?  Like Jack Reacher being played by Tom Cruise?  Well, they got a good lead in this series.  I am interested to see more.

I think my favorite book by Giles Blunt was Forty Words for Sorrow.  I must look and see if he has done anything recent.  LM

No, that's a new author/series for me-don't know him. I know I thought Tom Cruise was miscast as Reacher. I am going to check into Blunt and the series!

I understand why you might have PTB on the new Steve Hamilton book-I almost did but since I had nothing else on my nightstand (how rare that is!) I kept going. Now I'm intrigued but still not loving my main character which I normally have to or it's history. He's basically a good guy with a horrible upbringing which accounts for his lifestyle. I can't think how he's going to get out of the jam he signed himself on for.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@sunala

Just wanted to let you know I loved Ordinary Grace.  Thanks for the encouragement!

Great book! 👍🏻📚 @DiAnne

Respected Contributor

@AnnT wrote:

I just finished reading GARDEN of LETTERS by ALYSON RICHMAN, it's set in WWII in Italy.  I have now started THE SNOW CHILD by EWOYN IVEY.

I loved THE SNOW CHILD! Such an enchanting book! @AnnT

Respected Contributor

Bella-luna,  you have to watch the dvd of "Remains of the Day." It is wonderful.