Super Contributor

Re: Half the Year is Over...What is your FAVORITE Book So Far?

Anything by Stephen King that I haven't read yet.  He has new ones coming out.  I'm  currently reading The Outsider.  Pretty good so far.  

Esteemed Contributor

You may laugh  - it's the out of print Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia.  Open to any page, and there is something to be learned.

Cogito ergo sum
Occasional Contributor

Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann.  About the systematic killing of the Osage Indians in Oklahoma for their oil rights and the formation of the FBI to solve it.  Read it for book club.  A true story and a great read.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t have a favorite to date yet. 🙁

There have been two that stand out though:

The Great Alone by Kristen Hannah. Well written story that put me on edge. Just made me feel uncomfortable.

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin. I didn’t like this book, but it made me want to discuss it and the themes/topics it brought up. I don’t recall ever thinking like that for any other book, so I figured it must have moved me at some level!

Frequent Contributor

@sunala

I can't believe I forgot to add that book as well. That story just made my heart happy. Loved it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyCindy wrote:

Anything by Stephen King that I haven't read yet.  He has new ones coming out.  I'm  currently reading The Outsider.  Pretty good so far.  

@PickyCindy- I read it last week and yes it WAS really good! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I always select my favorite fiction and non-fiction books each year.

So far, my favorite fiction book is A.J. Finn's The Woman in the Window. A stunner!

My favorite non-fiction is Keith O'Brien's Fly Girls (sub-titled "How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History"). It's a detailed account, and written in such a skillful, smooth manner that the reader is kept perpetually interested.

I received Fly Girls as an Advance Reading Copy from Bookbrowse. The publication date is August 7, 2018, so it will be available soon. I strongly recommend this book!

Respected Contributor

@Ocalagala wrote:

Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann.  About the systematic killing of the Osage Indians in Oklahoma for their oil rights and the formation of the FBI to solve it.  Read it for book club.  A true story and a great read.

@Ocalagala, I was just in Pawhuska, OK, to see the Pioneer Woman Mercantile and lodge.  The lady at the front desk where we stayed recommended this book, but I had forgotten about it.  Going to see if our library has it right now!  Thanks for the reminder!

Respected Contributor

The best book I've read so far this year is one I posted about the other day...Then She was Gone by Lisa Jewell. It is a psychological thriller that has a different premise than most...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

News of the World.   

The Whip by Kandazian

Spinning Jenny by McLain

Thoroughly enjoyed all.