Honored Contributor

Re: HISTORY - Fiction, Non-Fiction, Books, TV, Movies

@Oznell, you may not want to spend the money (I haven’t yet, but want to), but look on Amazon for videos of The Scarecrow (1972) and Eccentricities of a Nightingale. Both plays were on PBS decades ago.

The first also starred Gene Wilder and Peter Deuel. The second also starred a young and gorgeous Frank Langella. Both were magical in their acting, and Blythe was mesmerizing and yet ethereal. Very young and beautiful.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I should read more historical novels. The Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes is the extent of my reading.

Honored Contributor

History is one of my main interests ... but only certain times and certain places.   It all started with a World History class in high school junior year.   

For Greeks and Romans - lots of primary sources.   I minored in Classical Studies in college.   Not just "raw" history of dates and places, but all the stuff that goes with it:   theology, literature, philosopny, mythology, archaeology, etc.   Lots of early Christian writers (Church Fathers) that are readily available.

I watch the History Channel when they have one of their occasional shows that is actually about something historical.  But - often you can see an agenda in the background and there have been quite a few factual errors.  

Two books I'm re-reading currently that are "sort of" history related:

When They Severed the Earth From the Sky by Elizabeth & Paul Barber.

Ancient Near Eastern Themes in Biblical Theology by Jeffrey Niehaus.

Steven Ozment is one of my favorite authors for early modern Germany.  I think I've read most of his books.  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA, for some reason I’ve always been into the ancient Romans to a degree, but never the Greeks; I’ve always found ancient Greece kinda boring.  I love all history, but everyone has their favorite countries and time periods.

I love reading/viewing any British history, Chinese history, ancient Egypt, Pompeii and Herculaneum, and in general the Middle/Dark Ages, among others. I have always read non-fiction history books as well as fiction.

It broke my heart when the History Channel dropped their History 2 channel, the one with all the actual history programs that HC stopped showing years ago. Now, they might have a couple of actual history programs on a year if we’re lucky. Why don’t they just change the name? It isn’t showing history at all any more.

When I want to see history now I watch Youtube and British shows recorded off-air - they do many shows, not at all only about their own history. Acorn and BritBox also have some and there are websites that are like Netflix for documentaries.

Trusted Contributor

Oh my goodness, I just remembered Mary Renault, and how I loved her books about ancient Greece.  The Bull From the Sea, The Last of the Wine, I can't think of the other titles.  Just wonderful.  And a little bit dodgy for a young girl, but it's Ancient Greece, so it's OK to read.

This actually happened: the Athenians complete the Parthenon and decorate it beautifully.  Then they go to war, and to finance it they strip the Parthenon's decorations.  Six months later, they have war and pestilence.  Wonderful books!

Trusted Contributor

If you were ever under the spell of Leon Uris' EXODUS and have wondered what life was like in Israel after that period, try Herman Wouk's THE HOPE and THE GLORY.  One follows the other and features the same characters.  They cover Israel's fight for survival in periods like the Six Day War.  They were two of the best historical fiction books I read this year.

Last year I read James Michener's THE COVENANT about South Africa.  I had always thought of the British influence in Africa and didn't realize the Boers and Afrikaans were Dutch.  Does anyone know of a book about South Africa since the end of apartheid?

I'll have to stop and think if I've read any "recent" historical novels, but speaking of Leon Uris, his book TRINITY does for the troubles in Northern Ireland what James Clavell's WHIRLWIND does for the troubles in the Middle East.  Both help you understand why things are not just as "simple" as resolving religious differences.

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

If you were ever under the spell of Leon Uris' EXODUS and have wondered what life was like in Israel after that period, try Herman Wouk's THE HOPE and THE GLORY.  One follows the other and features the same characters.  They cover Israel's fight for survival in periods like the Six Day War.  They were two of the best historical fiction books I read this year.

Last year I read James Michener's THE COVENANT about South Africa.  I had always thought of the British influence in Africa and didn't realize the Boers and Afrikaans were Dutch.  Does anyone know of a book about South Africa since the end of apartheid?

I'll have to stop and think if I've read any "recent" historical novels, but speaking of Leon Uris, his book TRINITY does for the troubles in Northern Ireland what James Clavell's WHIRLWIND does for the troubles in the Middle East.  Both help you understand why things are not just as "simple" as resolving religious differences.

Thank you, @Honeybit. Exodus and The Covenant are two of my favorite books, and authors. I’ve never read Trinity, but I should, as I’d like to learn more about The Troubles than the historical outline.

Honored Contributor

I’d want to go all the way to Istanbul!

86F15E80-7C85-47CC-8341-DF89948163F3.jpeg

From the British magazine The Tatler:

Someone is going to pop their clogs on the Orient Express. Well, that’s Agatha Christie for you – and how better to celebrate next month’s Hollywood remake of Murder on the Orient Express than with a jaunt on the actual Orient Express? Book for next March, when they will be unveiling three grand suites on the classic journey from London to Venice.

The train’s first ever ensuite cabins (no more loo-sharing with Poirot) are named after its most famous destinations. Rachel Johnson (no, not that one), of Wimberly Interiors, is the brains behind the designs, and she has attributed a style to each one – elegance for Paris, grandeur for Venice and opulence for Istanbul. All three will be resplendent with the train’s art-deco signature style, as well as original polished-brass hardware, pedigree Lalique and Murano glass all over the place. Sell a kidney now for a reservation.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

I’d want to go all the way to Istanbul!

86F15E80-7C85-47CC-8341-DF89948163F3.jpeg

From the British magazine The Tatler:

Someone is going to pop their clogs on the Orient Express. Well, that’s Agatha Christie for you – and how better to celebrate next month’s Hollywood remake of Murder on the Orient Express than with a jaunt on the actual Orient Express? Book for next March, when they will be unveiling three grand suites on the classic journey from London to Venice.

The train’s first ever ensuite cabins (no more loo-sharing with Poirot) are named after its most famous destinations. Rachel Johnson (no, not that one), of Wimberly Interiors, is the brains behind the designs, and she has attributed a style to each one – elegance for Paris, grandeur for Venice and opulence for Istanbul. All three will be resplendent with the train’s art-deco signature style, as well as original polished-brass hardware, pedigree Lalique and Murano glass all over the place. Sell a kidney now for a reservation.

If I had the cash, I would do it in a heartbeat. I will settle for watching the movie as it looks good.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.