Honored Contributor

HISTORY - Fiction, Non-Fiction, Books, TV, Movies

This thread is for those who enjoy history in all its media forms - books both fiction and non-fiction, and the various TV programs (including documentaries), series, mini-series and films dealing with history.

Please share favorite authors, subjects, time periods, onscreen adaptations and etc.

I hope it does not become a thread with lots of "I hated that", "I thought that was stupid", etc. A simple I didn't care for it, it didn't wow me, I thought the writing style was dry, I don't like that type of thing, that era, etc is honest but not rude.

Let's talk!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: HISTORY - Fiction, Non-Fiction, Books, TV, Movies

Who remembers the golden age of romantic suspense novels of the 40s, 50s and 60s?

Anya Seton, Victoria Holt, Phyllis Whitney, Daphne Du Maurier, Philippa Gregory, Mary Stewart to name some of the best known. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I'm not into the typical bodice-ripper historical romance, but the above authors were, because of the years they wrote in, long on atmosphere and history, medium on romance and very short on sex, lol.  I ate them up in my youth.

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

This thread is for those who enjoy history in all its media forms - books both fiction and non-fiction, and the various TV programs (including documentaries), series, mini-series and films dealing with history.

Please share favorite authors, subjects, time periods, onscreen adaptations and etc.

I hope it does not become a thread with lots of "I hated that", "I thought that was stupid", etc. A simple I didn't care for it, it didn't wow me, I thought the writing style was dry, I don't like that type of thing, that era, etc is honest but not rude.

Let's talk!

I love history, and in fact was awarded the History Medal when I graduated High School. Really looking forward to this thread.  Perhaps letting it develop organically, without specifying how you want people to share their experiences, would be more inclusive.

I LOVE the opening credits to the HBO series John Adams.  I love the music, and I love the flags they display.  I also read the book.

Trusted Contributor

Also, I'm reading The Iron King, by Maurice Druon.  The Forward is written by George R.R. Martin, who claims this series as part of his inspiration for Game of Thrones.

They are translated from the French, and haven't been that readily available in English until the last few years.

Honored Contributor

Someone who knows my love of history suggested I should read Wolf Hall. At the time I had cataracts and was doing precious little reading. I absolutely loved the mini-series and thought the entire cast was brilliant. Mark Rylance and Damian Lewis are particular favorites of mine completely apart from WH.

I'd like to tackle the book, but I will always have visual issues with aging eyes now, above and beyond the now-gone cataracts. Not sure I can successfully tackle it even digitally but I want to try as I want all the details, the things that had to be left out of the televised version.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of the historically inaccurate, highly speculative and highly fictionalized series like Versailles, Jonathan Rhys-Myers as Henry VIII and Reign. No book or film can be expected to be totally accurate, but fiddling greatly with physical appearance, costuming and what we know of their personality and of the real history of the period prevents me from wanting to watch, because it tells me the producers are only going for sensational ratings and the heck with accuracy. 

If one doesn't know the history, I'm sure they enjoy the shows for what they are. But if you do know the history, for me at least, all the who cares inaccuracies just kill it.

Trusted Contributor

In school I was not much of a history fan (except for 8th grade when I had the most wonderful teacher).

I remember reading the North and South Trilogy by John Jakes and thinking that I learned more about American history from those books than in my classes. It was made into a mini-series in the 80s with a stellar cast.

If you haven't read the books they are very engaging and since it's been umpteen years since I read them I'm thinking of reading them again. Check 'em out!

Trusted Contributor

The Iron King is based on fact.  There are two major incidents dealt with in the book.  I like this one:

The Tour de Nesle Affair.  Google it to get the Wiki.  But here's the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_Nesle_affair

The King of France had three sons and a daughter.  The daughter became Queen of England (she's the Princess in Braveheart).

She accuses the wives of her three brothers of adultery.  That's every royal princess of France.

It did not end well.

Honored Contributor

Have you read " Brooklyn" by Colm Toibin ? It is about an Irish immigrant in the early 1950's. The book and the movie were both good.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I read all the Mary Stewart novels before she got into her more mystical phase, but I've even read a few of those.

I love her easy familiarity with history, and even though the novels are popular entertainment, they have a literacy and charm that distinguishes them.  We've discussed them a little in the past here in the Book section--  my favorite was "My Brother Michael" in which one of her typical intelligent English heroines visits Delphi and encounters murder, mystery, Greek tragedy, and a wildly attractive but understated English don who helps her out, natch!