Honored Contributor

Re: HAPPY NOVEMBER 2020 TO OUR BOOK READERS!

@sunala  I was wondering if you've ever seen the movie, DENIAL. A movie based on a true story of an author who denies the Holocaust ever happened. Mostly a court case that took place in England in 1954. Edge of your seat stuff (mostly because I despised the author). I guess I was too young to remember this happening.

I put this under the book thread 'cause I know you hang out here, Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished reading An Aero Island Christmas Mystery, book 3 of the Homeswappers Mysteries by Adriana Licio.  What a delightful book.

While it was a murder mystery, the real emphasis was reading about Dora, Etta, and Leon exploring this Danish island.  I enjoyed the descriptions of the area, looking up the different holiday foods, and learning about some of their customs.  

In this mystery series, retired Italian teachers with a not-so-good pension have merged households and now travel using homeswapping.  Each place is interesting, with real sights named, but this particular book was the best yet, in my opinion.  Looking forward to Prague in the spring.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished "World Without End." by Ken Follett. It's the sequel to "Pillars of the Earth." about the Kingsbridge priory and takes place in the 1300's, a couple centuries after the first book.

It's very good. I like historical novels, and Follett has interesting characters. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

I read The Devil and the Dark Water by Stuart Turton.  It's 1634.  Murder and mayhem on the high seas.  A demon who may or may not exist.  It sounds exciting, right?  I don't know if it was me or the book, but I just did not find it that compelling.  Maybe it was too long (almost 500 pages).  Maybe there were too many minor characters.  Maybe I was not in the mood for this book.  3 stars.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala  I was wondering if you've ever seen the movie, DENIAL. A movie based on a true story of an author who denies the Holocaust ever happened. Mostly a court case that took place in England in 1954. Edge of your seat stuff (mostly because I despised the author). I guess I was too young to remember this happening.

I put this under the book thread 'cause I know you hang out here, Smiley Happy

@Judaline  - thank you for letting me know about Denial. I may have seen it years ago but can't be sure. Holocaust deniers make me so MAD grrrrrr. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Here's what I've read this month so far:

"When She was Found" by Heather Gudenkauf-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
"Finding Grace" by KL Slater-⭐️⭐️⭐️
"The Sister in Law" by Sue Watson-⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2
"Home Before Dark" by Riley Sager-⭐️⭐️
"You Should Have Known" by Jean Hanford Korelitz-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
"Truly Madly Guilty" by Liane Moriarty-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 1/2

"The Dry" by Jane Harper-⭐️⭐️⭐️
"Lie to Me" by JT Elison-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 1/2

I'm listening to "When you Found Me" by PJ Vernon and it's been pretty good so far. I'd recommend it. 

Next book in the queue is: "Stranger in the Lake" by Kimberly Belle

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished A Hopeless Valentine, book 7 of the Hope Walker mystery series by Daniel Carson.  This was an enjoyable and quick read for a lazy Sunday.

Hope Walker lives in the town of Hopeless and is an investigative reporter and now the owner of the town newspaper.  In this book, Valentine's Day is approaching, her arch enemy has won the mayoral election, and a hospital employee is murdered at the hospital.  

This is a fun and humorous series with likable characters, which makes it difficult to put down.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

You Betrayed Me, by Lisa Jackson;  Small town thriller but sadly I did not know until well into it, it is #3 of a series.  My library does not have #1 or #2.  Still a good read for murder and betrayal.

Mr. Nobody, by Catherine Steadman;  Poor man found on the beach with no memory and brain scans prove it.  But he may not be what he appears, is he an angel with the things he know or is he evil.  The author of this book acted on Downton Abby, this is her second novel.

When No One Is Watching, by Alyssa Cole.  This book is not like anything I have ever read before it is frightening in so many ways.  I have read several of Alyssa Cole's books and this one is different and like her others very good.  I hope she can turn this into a series I would love to see more of Sydney.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Finished All That We Carried by Erin Bartels.  The title was literal and figurative!  It was just an ok book.  If you like to read about hiking and bickering between sisters after 10 years of being estranged because of the person who killed their parents in an car accident 10 years ago.

Onto Martha Teichner's memoir When Harry Met Minnie.  Looks like a cute humorous book. 

Trusted Contributor

I read Anxious People by Frederik Backman which was an interesting book that I enjoyed. It is not written in a linear manner but goes back and forth between the various characters. At first I didn't know where it was all headed but then I just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. Sometimes the story even made me laugh but ultimately it was about hope and forgiveness and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I also read The Kindest Lie by Nancy Johnson which was a book about race and class and family secrets. It asks the question is it right to lie if we think it is for the other person's own good. I thought this was a very good book but it was a Goodreads win and I don't think it comes out until 2021. So if you are interested you could be first on your library's list.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx