Trusted Contributor

Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR - JANUARY 2021 WELCOME READERS!!

Happy New Year to all of you fabulous readers! Smiley Happy Here's to hoping for a better 2021 for all and some great books to read this year. 

In 2020, reading became a great escape for me. A chance to turn off the tv, shut off the computer, veg out with a good book and get lost in another world for a while. 

I started this year with The Key Lime Crime by Lucy Burdette. It's the 10th book of the mystery series set in Key West Florida. I found this series last year and enjoyed reading about life in the Keys more than the mystery. It's a very light cozy mystery series that basically follows the same story line each book - the lead character has to have an almost life ending ordeal where she magically reveals the murderer. The descriptions of the Keys is what brings me back - the author does a great job describing the island with all of its yummy restaurants and random tourist destinations. I enjoyed a vacation there a couple years ago so it's full of good memories for me. It does make me crave key lime pie and really good food. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy New Year to all! 

Thank you Sunny for this thread. Smiley Happy 

I don't remember what books I mentioned the last time I was here, so please excuse any repeats. 

I recently  read or listened to the following: 

I Have Something To Tell You, Chasten Buttigieg

I Am These Truths, Sunny Hostin

Born a Crime, Trevor Noah

A Promised Land, Barack Obama

I enjoyed each one for different reasons and recommend them. Smiley Happy 

Currently reading, Meant To Be, Melody Grace

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

Happy New Year everyone.  

Sadly, I just bailed on book a couple of hours ago.  Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cheeton.  I was struggling to keep interest.  Then at page 146 I decided I can't keep forcing myself to read this.  

I'm currently listening to The Genius of Birds, by Jennifer Ackerman. Just 3 hours in and liking.

Will start The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher tonight. 

I couldn't finish Next Year in Havana despite all the buzz. I thought it was pretty bad the portion I read. 

Esteemed Contributor

Happy New Year!

I just finished Joy Ellis' book Five Bloody Hearts, book 2 of the Detective Matt Ballard mysteries.  This was a very good book until at the end of the book the story circled back to the first book in the series.  

Grace Repton walks into the police station and tells the officers that she has information that could stop a murder.  Her fiancee is a serial killer, in prison for life, and he has a devotee who has been writing to him, with the promise to continue the spree.  Additionall, there is another series of murders in the Lithuanian community.  Somehow, both intertwine, with Grace Repton being the one person who seems to be involved with both.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

Happy new year!

Today I finished One by One by Ruth Ware.  Reading reviews from several sites, I guess I was expecting something much more.  I was a bit underwhelmed.

My old library used to keep a history of books I borrowed.  The town library I use now does not.  I cannot remember the book I read before this one.  We have a "My List" tab so I've created a "Read" list.  I'm going to add my borrowed books so I don't feel so dumb!

Happy reading!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons #2) by Julia Quinn.

I am not sure what I am going to read next. I have three books home from the library, but I will be slowing down with my reading.  I return to work (Telecommuting) on Monday.

It's been a nice two week vacation.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Dying Light, book 3 of the Matt Ballard mysteries by Joy Ellis.  In this book, Matt has retired from the force.  With his partner, Liz, they start a private investigation company.  That is now just about on hold as his best friend Will and Will's wife, Kate, are now living in the fens.  The house that Will and Kate buy seems to have a strong pull to Kate and we see her spiral out of control.  Additionally, there is vandalism next door to them.  This was a good book, but the ending was a real surprise and somewhat shocking.  I had to go back and read the ending again.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

Today I finished Murder in an Irish VIllage by Carlene O'Connor. It's a new-to-me mystery series set in a small Irish village with the main character a young woman caring for her 5 siblings after her parents died in a car crash. A dead man is found in their family bistro and the oldest brother is 1 of the suspects. It took me a bit to get used to some of the Irish slang and names but it overall did draw me in and I did put the next book on hold at my library. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Date Night by Samantha Hayes, OMG this was so good!  It all starts when a note is found on a windshield of a car stating "Your husband is having an affair", the story just keeps getting better and better, and the end was shocking!

Regular Contributor

Books I've read and loved so far this year:

Off Season by Anne Rivers Siddons - Lush, poetic prose with a shocking ending!

Machines Like Me by Ian McEwan - Fascinating, unique story about a couple who purchase a male android, which ultimately falls in love with the woman (of the couple).  Not a subject I'd normally be interested in, but it was recommended by a friend whose taste I always trust!  Plus, I like the author.

It's Not All Downhill From Here by Terry McMillan - Story of a 60ish woman who is contemplating what direction her life should take.  Full of loving relatives/friends who all experience some sort of tragedy, yet still keep ticking.    

Minor Dramas and Other Catastrophes by Kathleen West centers around a helicopter mom of high-schoolers, another student filming an unfortunate incident, and the power of Facebook.  It was written by a teacher, and is both humorous and frightening.  I could not put this one down!!!

I love perusing these monthly threads and receiving recommendations from other readers!!!