Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR - JANUARY 2021 WELCOME READERS!!

I just finished listening to The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins.Although I can’t say anything surprised me and the main character was quite unlikeable, it still kept my attention and I wanted to see how it would end.

What a decision!! Both Jane Harper’s and Kristin Hannah’s new novels are out on Tuesday. Not sure if I should wait or start Outlawed instead?
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished  Someone Is watching by Joy Fielding, very good book!  Lots of action, and very well written!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

smoky2016,I too am a Michel Connolly fan. He has a new book coming out Feb.2. 
what do you think? I think he getting rid of Harry Bosch. I love this character,but why would Connolly give him leukemia if not to write him off 😢

Respected Contributor

I just slogged through Private Means by Cree LaFavour one of the ebooks I downloaded from NetGalley.  I don't know why I finished it.  It was all over the place with an unhappy married couple. It started off with a missing dog and then it went into his psychiatry practice and her former job of something to do with birds.  I skipped over a lot of that.  The verbiage was sometimes over my head w/that and other parts of the book. 

Onto something lighter and hopefully more enjoyable.  Sarah Creech's The Whole Way Home which I've had on my shelf for a while.

Super Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

Also read The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell (author of Hamnet).  The book is very much about family secrets, and the style is unusual in that the entire book is one chapter.  Normally this would annoy me, but the author did a magnificent job of telling the story from past perspectives and the present.   I highly recommend it. 

I read this book last year and is on my list of All Time Favorites!

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Valued Contributor

One by One ,by Ruth Ware was the first book that I really didn't like.

Valued Contributor

THe SEACHER., by Tanya French, A very different book. Enjoyed it  so much! I thought I would have it done by Christmas, but ran into January!

Esteemed Contributor

This January thread is now CLOSED.

Hope you enjoyed your January books. I read a few good ones which I'll share shortly. Please begin posting on our new February thread.

Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@Epicurean wrote:

smoky2016,I too am a Michel Connolly fan. He has a new book coming out Feb.2. 
what do you think? I think he getting rid of Harry Bosch. I love this character,but why would Connolly give him leukemia if not to write him off 😢

@Epicurean   I worry about that too.   He seems to be replacing Harry with Renee Ballard.  The Bosch/Ballard books are not quite the same to me.