Respected Contributor

Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR - JANUARY 2021 WELCOME READERS!!

@CareBears 

A while ago I read The Guestroom and Sleepwalker by Bohjalian.  Give those a try if you haven't already read them.

Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  I read a lot of "thrillers." I found this one to be very unique. The story was very interesting, something different. I don't want to give anything away so I can't say more. Highly recommend.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN  I read a lot of "thrillers." I found this one to be very unique. The story was very interesting, something different. I don't want to give anything away so I can't say more. Highly recommend.

@Janey2 Thank-you! I am looking forward to reading it..

Respected Contributor

@SWEET  you're absolutely right about The Lottery  by Patricia Woods.  One of my all time favorite books.  It's a real gem and your review was spot on.     

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@SWEET  you're absolutely right about The Lottery  by Patricia Woods.  One of my all time favorite books.  It's a real gem and your review was spot on.     

@smoky22 

Thanks.  If you're on GR and interested, you can read my whole review there.

Respected Contributor

This is a new author for me: Paul Doiron.  I just finished The Poacher's Son.  It is # 1 in a series with the main character named Mike Bowditch.  Mike is a Game Warden in Maine.  As you can imagine, there are a lot of scenes and descriptions of nature and wildlife.  There are some good and bad guys in this first story; it kept my attention.  I will read more by this author. 

Regular Contributor

Just finished reading  Same Time Next Year by Susan Cousens.  The story involves Minnie Cooper and Quinn Hamilton who were born one minute apart just after midnight on New Year's Day. Minnie feels that being the second baby born that day brought her nothing but bad luck and hates celebrating her birthday.  Years later the two meet on their mutual birthday.  The story  was one I couldn't put down.  There was happiness, sadness and humor.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@Judaline , I'm glad that you enjoyed "Where the Crawdads Sing." I am probably in the minority with my review. Often I have high expectations when I read a best seller, and if it doesn't overwhelm me, I give a lower or average review. 

In this case, it wasn't a bad book, I just didn't care about the writing style. 

It's interesting to read how everyone is different in their reading tastes.

I didn't care for it either. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Kisser (Stone Barrington #17) by Stuart Woods

I really enjoyed this book, it was fast paced and an easy read. 

I think I will take a break tomorrow, spend the day watching movies, and start another book on Sunday. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Facing The Dawn by Cynthia Ruchti.  A little too Christian for me but JMO.  I don't read a lot of these types of books but the other(s) haven't been so.  This book was enjoyable in that I liked the characters and the plot.  It was a sad book mostly but happiness too.

Onto The Barbizon by Paulina Bren. NF re The Barbizon Hotel in NY.