Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAPPY MAY TO OUR READERS!

@smoky22 wrote:

I just finished The Night Always Comes (Willy Vlautin).  This is the story of the disenfranchised, fighting for their slice of the American Dream.  Heartwrenching and bleak, the book is riveting in its honesty.  I don't know when I've rooted for a main character more.  A truly remarkable achievement by the author.

I started to read When The Stars Go Dark (Paula McLain), a police/detective procedural that mixed some real life missing persons cases with fictional ones and it never really gelled with me.  I skimmed it to the end.

Then I tried to read Deep into The Dark by P. J. Tracy and decided I was not in the mood for another detective book.  I loved their Monkeewrench series and maybe I'll try this one again at a later date. 

@smoky22- I hope to read all Willy Vlautin's books. I read one and loved it. I don't know I missed this author; he's wonderful!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to THE LAST THING HE TOLD ME by Laura Dave, Reese's latest book club pick.  Overall, I liked the book.  It's not a 5 star, but I enjoyed it.  However, I knew going in that the novel was being turned into a series starring Julia Roberts and I kept envisioning her in the role (honestly, it seemed written for her - great casting choice).  Will make a good series.

I'm listening to People We Meet On Vacation next, and I'm not sure if it's a rom-com or dramedy.  Maybe something in between?  Good reviews though so looking forward to it.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Juror #3 by James Patterson and Nancy Allen. I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. I am not sure how many other posters enjoy John Grisham books and I have not read his material in years, but I use to be a huge fan in the 90's. This book gave me the same type of vibe. Lawyers, Mississippi,  and innocent people being accused of crimes that they did not commit. The heroine being a new lawyer had a few annoying qualities, but overall the two storylines outweighed her lack of common sense flaws. 

I will rate it 3/5 on Goodreads.

Respected Contributor

Another dnf in my pile.  Ready to move on.  The book was Return To Palm Court by Stephanie Edwards.  It was a win from a FB book group.  I thought it was a mystery; instead it was a "woo woo" paranormal.  I don't read a lot of them.  In fact, not even sure when I read one was, if ever.  Anyway, time to move on to a hopefully better one.  I never regret not finishing a book.  The book was only 146 pages and I only read 46 pages.

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

I just finished The Night Always Comes (Willy Vlautin).  This is the story of the disenfranchised, fighting for their slice of the American Dream.  Heartwrenching and bleak, the book is riveting in its honesty.  I don't know when I've rooted for a main character more.  A truly remarkable achievement by the author.

@smoky22- I hope to read all Willy Vlautin's books. I read one and loved it. I don't know I missed this author; he's wonderful!

@sunala  I couldn't agree more.  I plan to look up his other books.  I read several reviews where people said all his books are great.  He's a fantastic writer.  

Super Contributor

Just finished The Tooth of Time by Sue Henry.  It was an interesting cozy mystery with a slightly different twist.  The main character, Maxie McNabb, is a retired widow (times two) who travels from her home in Alaska in her Winnebago with canine pal, Strech.  In this book Maxie is in Taos, New Mexico, learning how to weave and meeting lots of interesting people, dead and alive.  I found the independent Maxie refreshing and a bit inspiring. . . 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter and I are both avid readers,we share our kindle books. For Mother's Day she gave me two books,I have read one.

The author is Elizabeth Brundage. I have not read any of her books,but,I will now! This is going on my favorite book list. I'm not giving anything away,but,the book starts with a man,with his toddler daughter going to a neighbors house saying his wife is dead W/a ax in her head. From there it goes back to the previous owners and comes back to the present. It was not a bloody,goorey story. It was an excellent read at almost 500 pages and Icouldnt stand to put it down. I already have some of her other books n my kindle wishlist and my looking forward to reading them.

The title of the book is ALL THINGS CEASE TO APPEAR.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Escape Room by Megan Goldin, Wow what a GREAT book.  Horrible characters who would stop at nothing to back stab  their colleagues to move themselves along!  In the end it ended perfectly for one of the characters!

Super Contributor

I read and enjoyed the latest stand alone by Tana French, "The Searcher".  Love her slow style.  Her books aren't page turners. Best read at an easy pace to savor her prose and in depth character development.

Also enjoyed "The Queen's Gambit" even though I have no intention of watching the series nor do I know a thing about chess. 

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego  I just read The Last Thing He Told Me. While reading I kept thinking....this would make a good movie. I think Julia Roberts is great casting.