Respected Contributor

Re: HAPPY MAY TO OUR READERS!

Finished L.A. Weather by Maria Amparo Escadon.  I really enjoyed this family book and the happenings and surprises that took place.

Honored Contributor

I am now reading THE WRONG MOTHER, by Sophie Hannah.  I have read several of her other books, and they have been different but interesting! This one is pretty good so far!

Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I'm reading The Barbizon. It is an interesting read, the story of the famous women-only hotel in NYC where many famous ladies stayed.

The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis is also about the Barbizon.  It is very good.  I have enjoyed all of her books.

Thank you, I am going to put it on my reading list.

Another vote for the Fiona Barton book! It was so interesting. In fact, all of her books have been favorites of mine. She does a lot of fiction set in noteworthy or notorious buildings and does a great job capturing the time period and architecture of the era. 

Fiona is a treasure just like her books.  I love the days I see a new release is coming out under her name. 

The Magnolia Palace is Fiona Davis' new book coming out in January 2022.  It is about the Frick mansion in New York City. 

Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I have read several books by Sophie Hannah.  Overall I liked them, but I do have a criticism.  Some of them are just plain too long.  It seems like there is a lot of repetition and sometimes too much description.  I enjoy her storylines, but maybe she needs a better editor.  Just my opinion. 

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to PEOPLE WE MEET ON VACATION by Emily Henry.  

The Hallmark Channel has ruined me for romance novels as, in many ways, I could see the basic premise of this book as a made for TV movie (sans the very few naughty bits and bad words). That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is unfortunate that I'm going in with a preconceived notion.  As with most books, this is better than a TV movie - the storyline has more depth.  I liked most of it and did find myself smiling and laughing out loud.  But, just like the final act in each Saturday night premiere on that particular channel, the drama keeping the couple apart felt forced and boring.  Dare I say, it annoyed me!  But, overall, it was a pleasant summer read.

I have a couple of pre-orders dropping on Audible 6/01, so will hold off starting anything new until then.  I'm excited to be going back to colonial India to help Perveen Mistri solve another case (and hopefully see if her new romance starts to heat up...)

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A BODY at the TEA ROOMS (BOOK 3 OF THE KATE PALMER MYSTERIES) by Dee MacDonald.  Kate's sister Angie buys a tea room and a skeleton is found locked in the basement.  Kate's investigation takes her from Cornwall to Liverpool.  Good book with a surprise ending that I did not see coming.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I have read several books by Sophie Hannah.  Overall I liked them, but I do have a criticism.  Some of them are just plain too long.  It seems like there is a lot of repetition and sometimes too much description.  I enjoy her storylines, but maybe she needs a better editor.  Just my opinion. 

@maximillian I agree with you 100%.....

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished He's Gone by Deb Caletti, I enjoyed this book.  I enjoyed the psychology behind it!

Honored Contributor

Sweet On You, by Becky Wade;  bk. 3 faith based book of the third friend in a group of friends and siblings who discover the boy from junior high is her soul mate later in life.

A Game Of Cones, by Abby Collette.   bk. 2 of a new mystery series where the Ice Cream shop owned by the family also dapples in solving murders in this Cleveland suburb. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012  I have requested boh of these, thanks for the heads up!