Respected Contributor

Re: HAPPY MAY TO OUR READERS!

@sandy53 

I recently read The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis too.  It was a good storyline and it gave the "flavor" of that famous hotel and women's perceived place in the world at that time in American culture.

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I'm reading The Barbizon. It is an interesting read, the story of the famous women-only hotel in NYC where many famous ladies stayed.

The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis is also about the Barbizon.  It is very good.  I have enjoyed all of her books.

Thank you, I am going to put it on my reading list.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I'm reading The Barbizon. It is an interesting read, the story of the famous women-only hotel in NYC where many famous ladies stayed.

The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis is also about the Barbizon.  It is very good.  I have enjoyed all of her books.

Another vote for the Fiona Barton book! It was so interesting. In fact, all of her books have been favorites of mine. She does a lot of fiction set in noteworthy or notorious buildings and does a great job capturing the time period and architecture of the era. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished To Sir Phillip, with Love (Bridgerton#5) by Julia Quinn.  This was a light weekend read, and I have so far enjoyed the series. 

Esteemed Contributor

I liked the ending of "The Escape Room" though it seemed a bit far fetched IMO. Still, the characters kind of deserved what happened, and I didn't feel sorry for them. 

Next up is one of Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" novels.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Another vote for the Fiona Barton book! It was so interesting. In fact, all of her books have been favorites of mine. She does a lot of fiction set in noteworthy or notorious buildings and does a great job capturing the time period and architecture of the era. 

Fiona is a treasure just like her books.  I love the days I see a new release is coming out under her name. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

As expected, I thoroughly enjoyed  Joanne DeMaio's, The Beachgoers.   She answered some questions I had from her previous books in this series.  Looking forward to the next book in the Summer Saga series. 

I just started Viola Shipman's,  The Clover Girls.  

I am listening to  Seven Perfect Things: A Novel

by Catherine Ryan Hyde. So far, I am very much enjoying this book. 
You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Trusted Contributor

I just finished a thriller that was very good:  THE PLOT by Jean Korelitz.  A creative writing professor steals the plot of his deceased student's unpublished book.  No one will know, he figures.  But someone does know...  I figured out the ending about halfway through, but still enjoyed the book anyway.  I would recommend it.

Trusted Contributor

This morning I finished The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave.  I loved this book and I want to thank those on the thread who recommended it. 

Esteemed Contributor

A Body in Seaview Grange (a Kate Palmer Mystery Book 2) by Dee MacDonald.  Nurse Kate is now the visiting nurse at Seaview Grangen when one of the residents dies from an overdose of Digoxin.  Kate starts to dig for clues, there is another murder, and Kate almost joins them when the killer learns that Kate was in her apartment.  Just an ok book.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!