Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAPPY MAY TO OUR READERS!

I have just finished The Last Flight by Julie Clark. Finally a thriller that lives up to the hype. 

This book evoked so many emotions in me. Anger, fear, sympathy, pity to name a few. I normally do not enjoy books that bounce back and fourth between characters and time-lines. However, I had no trouble following this poignant story.

Claire and Eva are two woman that have to make impossible choices and both of their stories will move you. 

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 , Inraed Memory Man.  I probably read the other books but not in order.  S

Esteemed Contributor

Half way through "The Escape Room" by Megan Goldin. Very good book, even though the characters aren't likeable. One doesn't have to like the characters if the book is well written. A factor for me is if the plot and characters are interesting. 

This is the case for 'The Escape Room." I want to know what happens to everyone. There are chapters that are told by someone who has passed. This sounds strange, but she has a connection to the main characters, and I need to know how. 

Highly recommended.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Half way through "The Escape Room" by Megan Goldin. Very good book, even though the characters aren't likeable. One doesn't have to like the characters if the book is well written. A factor for me is if the plot and characters are interesting. 

This is the case for 'The Escape Room." I want to know what happens to everyone. There are chapters that are told by someone who has passed. This sounds strange, but she has a connection to the main characters, and I need to know how. 

Highly recommended.

@teganslaw 

I'm not a big psychological book reader but I loved this book.  I was speechless at the end of it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Watcher Girl by Minka Kent, A thriller that kept my interest!  I do not want to say too much, but a woman who is obsessed brings terror to several people, and she has the acting skills to win an Emmy!

Trusted Contributor

Here are my most recent reads:

THE WOMAN WITH THE BLUE STAR by Pam Jenoff - very good Holocaust book about the friendship between a Jewish girl hiding in the sewers in Poland and a Christian girl who brings her food and tries to help her.

LOCAL WOMAN MISSING by Mary Kubica - I have mixed feelings about this book.  It was suspenseful and I read it quickly.  But, it not only had several different narrators, but was also set in different time periods as well.  It is very confusing in the beginning, and I absolutely hated the ending, which was unrealistic.  So, I don't know if I would recommend it or not!

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover   Funny, I just finished reading those two books. The Woman With the Blue Star was really interesting. I liked that book. I have to say Local Woman Missing was a real page turner until the end. The end itself I didn't see coming, and then it just became ridiculous. There was something else in the story that really bothered me, but I can't say as I do not want to spoil it. I can't say it was a waste of time I just thought the ending could have been better.  Her books are worth reading.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished A Body in the Village Hall (Kate Palmer Novel Book 1) by Dee MacDonald.  Very good British mystery.  Kate Palmer, along with her sister Angie, move to the quiet Lower Tinworthy, Cornwall.  Within weeks of moving into the Lavender Cottage, a woman is found dead in the village hall, stabbed with her own knife.  The victim is the wealthy and disliked Fenella Barker Jones, chairwoman of the Woman's Institute and reigning champion of the cake baking contest.  As a nurse, Kate is the first on the scene and decides to do her own investigation as to finding the killer.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

Finished Kindred by Octavia Butler.  It's a sci-fi story about a woman in 1976 California who time travels back to the 1800 Maryland on a slave plantation.  This is one of Ms. Butler's best work.  I was emotionally exhausted.

Now I'm going to tackle War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.  I love Russian lit & Tolstoy is one of my favourites.  I've been putting of this beast of a book off long enough.  

Trusted Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I'm reading The Barbizon. It is an interesting read, the story of the famous women-only hotel in NYC where many famous ladies stayed.

The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis is also about the Barbizon.  It is very good.  I have enjoyed all of her books.