Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAPPY MAY TO OUR READERS!

@icezeus wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Guest List, by Lucy Foley.  100 pages or so left to read and I will finish but the only thing I can say is this is a bad book.  Do not waste your money or your time.  It is a shame I liked her last one.

@beckyb1012 

I wrote a scathing review abut this book last month on our thread.

I hated everyone.

@icezeus- I pulled the bookmark...TWICE! I hated it from the beginning. I call these books "Gone Girl imitations", which is nothing to be proud of since I hated Gone Girl! Feh!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BornToShop  I finished Hour of the Witch yesterday.  I don't remember ever having read a book by Chris Bohjalain before; however I am sure this will not be my last one. It was a real page turner, and I thought the author did a good job of making the reader second and third guess characters.

Hour of the Witch reminded me of a book by Geraldine Brooks, Year of Wonder, which also involves withcraft but during plague times in England.

I began Northern Spy by Flynn Berry last night and read just enough to know that it has nothing to do with the American Civil War, which was my assumption.

Respected Contributor

Just finished The Takeaway Men by Meryl Ain.  It was a hard read since it was about the Nazis, fleeing Poland, secrets, sort of lies and coming to America in the 1940s to escape.  It was a two day read so you know I enjoyed it.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Monogamy by Sue Miller, not sure how I felt about this one?  IMO it was very depressing, but that could just be me and what has been going on in my personal life?

Respected Contributor

@pateacher  Thank you for the recommendation!  I love historical fiction when I need a break from my favorite genre; psychological thrillers!  

Respected Contributor

@sunala et al thanks for saving me from The Guest List!!!  S

Trusted Contributor

Here are some of my recent reads:

TINY TALES by Alexander McCall Smith - very short stories and cartoons from his usual illustrator.  The problem was, just as the stories got interesting, they ended.

FINDING ASHLEY by Danielle Steel - a very typical Steel book about a search for the daughter put up for adoption years ago.  Good, not great.

21st BIRTHDAY by James Patterson (Women's Murder Club series) - an above-average entry in this series.  I thought it was very good.

My next books are WHILE JUSTICE SLEEPS by Stacey Abrams (political thriller) and FOR BATTER OR WORSE by Jenn McKinlay (Cupcake Bakery cozy mystery series.)

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover   I have While Justice Sleeps on waitlist and really looking forward to it.  Love her.

I'm reading The Orphan Collector right now, set in the time of the 1918 Spanish Flu.  As I recall you recommended the book.  I just finished chapter one (which was very long) and it has me interested.  Sounds like heartbreak ahead, though.    

Respected Contributor

I just finished The Night Always Comes (Willy Vlautin).  This is the story of the disenfranchised, fighting for their slice of the American Dream.  Heartwrenching and bleak, the book is riveting in its honesty.  I don't know when I've rooted for a main character more.  A truly remarkable achievement by the author.

I started to read When The Stars Go Dark (Paula McLain), a police/detective procedural that mixed some real life missing persons cases with fictional ones and it never really gelled with me.  I skimmed it to the end.

Then I tried to read Deep into The Dark by P. J. Tracy and decided I was not in the mood for another detective book.  I loved their Monkeewrench series and maybe I'll try this one again at a later date. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@sunala et al thanks for saving me from The Guest List!!!  S

@Lilysmom1- I'm so glad I could help!!!

Other readers have saved me from terrible books. It's all good.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett