Respected Contributor

Re: HAPPY MAY TO OUR READERS!

I just finished The Henna Artist.  It was a good read, kept me interested, not a great read.  Sometimes that is just fine.  S

Esteemed Contributor

MURDER IN THE BARN by Roy Lewis.  Arnold Landon is a history buff, more accurately medieval architecture. He is not a detective.  Working for the Planning Office, he is charged with looking at a property that is targeted for demolition, marking boundaries, seeking out of the norms.  His job is not to have opinions, just to write up what he finds.  While on a property that the owner hopes to sell to developers, he discovers The Old Wheat Barn, Many centuries old, and feeling a connection to the long-standing barn, he wants to save the barn from destruction and save it from the developers.  

I was looking for another British mystery and this one had excellent ratings.  I found it to be very slow and I quickly paged through.  The mysteries are at the end of the book and it took a long time getting there.  

I am going to try the next one of the series to see if it gets any better. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading "Secrets of Eden" by Christ Bohjalian. His other books "The Flight Attendant" and "The Guest Room" were very good, but I'm not feeling it with this one. 

Premise: After being baptized by Reverend Stephen Drew, Alice Hayward is killed by her husband who then shoots himself. Drew is experiencing a loss of faith when he meets Heather Laurant,an author of best selling novels about angels. 

The plot sounds good, but am disappointed so far. I can't connect with the characters, and I don't see what angels have to do with anything just yet. Something is just off about the writing. I'm thinking this can't be the same author whose other books were so interesting. I'm not sure I'll finish reading it. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

This morning I finished Ocean Prey by John Sandford.  This is the newest book in his Prey series, just published last month.  I liked it very much.  I liked that both Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers were in this book because I like both of those characters very much.  The US Marshals, Coast Guard, and FBI were all working together on this case.  The plot involved trying to bring down a drug ring that involved the mafia.  Action occurred in both Florida and NY/NJ.  It was a complex sting operation that had to be very closely timed. 

I liked this book very much, but in my opinion it was too long.  I could have been 50-75 pages shorter if the action had been tightened up a bit.  It seems that I have made this comment several times lately about books over 400 pages.  A poster last month said she thought there was too much detail about the scuba diving, but that part didn't bother me.  There just seemed to be too many meetings, too much detail about surveillance, and too much detail about following suspects through traffic. 

I recommend this book!  My city in Iowa was mentioned!  Read his books in order if possible.  The characters grow and change.

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I have been a long-time fan of CHRIS BOHJALIAN, hIs newest release HOUR of the WITCH was outstanding!  I highly recommend it!  

CB1BBD52-89D0-4345-80C6-1E7E70B21FBD.jpeg

@BornToShop Is this at all scary? Thnks!

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 , just requested Ocean Prey, thanks.

@CANDLEQUEEN , just ordered your recommendation too, thanks.

Love this forum @sunala ❤️🙏🙏🙏.  S

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed both Blair Bryan books I posted about earlier. 

I am listening to Sunny Hostin's, Summer on the Bluffs. So far, I am enjoying the story. 

I recently finished Until It Was by Melissa Brodsky.  I didn't enjoy it.  The characters were in their early 50s and acted and sounded like high school kids.  Just didn't click with me.

I just started  An Invincible Summer (Wyndham Beach Book 1) by Mariah Stewart.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN It's not a horror novel but a gripping, intense twisting narration with historical witchcraft that occurred in the 1660's.  Keep me posted if/when you decide to read it!  Love Chris Bohjalian! 

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop Amazon just delivered the copy I ordered!

Respected Contributor

@CareBears  No one appreciates well written books/authors like you do!  Can't wait to see how you like it, but books are such a personal preference and I hope you enjoy this author as much as I do!