Respected Contributor

Re: HAPPY MAY TO OUR READERS!

I'm reading Broken (in the best possible way) by Jenny Lawson.  A very funny book where she writes about the hilarious aspects of her anxiety disorder.  I read late at night and have to stop before I want because I'm laughing so hard I wouldn't be able to easily fall asleep.  I may have read a recommend on it here.  Not all of it is super funny, but when she hits her stride, it leaves you howling with tears.

Honored Contributor

The Four Winds, by Kristin Hannah. What a wonderful book to read coming up on Mother's Day weekend.  Wonderful book.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dmod nj wrote:

I'm reading Back to Before by Blair Bryan.  She's a new author to me. 

So far, I am very much enjoying the book, despite the serious nature of the book. It deals with a teen drug abuse and family dynamics. 

I started Blair Bryan's, The Sweetest Day, today.  

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Valued Contributor

Just finished The Power by Naomi Alderman and not sure if I would recommend to others but am glad I finished it. If you like the Handmaids Tale by Margot Atwood, read this book.  Teenage girls have incredible power and start to use it to their advantage.  The whole dynamic of the world changes and in some cases not in a good way.  Role reversal creates catastrophes on both sides  Would be a good book for a book club.  If you had the power to take revenge on the opposite sex, would you?

Respected Contributor

I read LATER by Stephen King.  I thought it was more touching than scary and, of course, very well written. 

Also read THE MYSTERY OF MRS CHRISTIE by Marie Benedict.  The story jumps between how she met/married Mr. Christie and then the days following her disappearance. The method really works well in this book as I enjoyed both narratives.  I'm not sure that I believe Agatha was as pathetic as this author makes her seem in the early years, but I loved the ending.  

Esteemed Contributor

Murder at the Royal Albert Hall:  a 1920's cozy historial mystery  (A Ginger Gold Mystery Book 15) by Lee Strauss.

Nothing ruins a night at the Royal Albert faster than a duchess falling to her death.  Ginger Reed, also known as Lady Gold, is with her husband, Basil Reed, a chief inspector at Scotland Yard, along with the Dowager Lady Gold, Felicia, and Felicia's beau.  Many questions come to mind as Ginger and Basil start the investigation.

This is a very good mystery series.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

SUICIDE HOUSE,by Charlie Donlea, Very good book,  did not know who did it till almost the end .There were several suspects all through the book.

Honored Contributor

Monogamy, by Sue Miller.   A very happy marriage of 30 years only to find out the ultimate betrayal when you can no longer ask why, or at least get an answer to why did he do it?

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Frequent Contributor

I rarely post on here,  although I truly appreciate the recommendations, and felt like I needed to return the favor! I just finished "What Lies Between Us" by John Marrs, a new author for me. What a ride! It details the story of two women living in the same house, but one is being held captive in the attic. Highly recommend!

Honored Contributor

@blessed10 wrote:

I rarely post on here,  although I truly appreciate the recommendations, and felt like I needed to return the favor! I just finished "What Lies Between Us" by John Marrs, a new author for me. What a ride! It details the story of two women living in the same house, but one is being held captive in the attic. Highly recommend!

@blessed10 Wow! Sounds intriguing, will add this one to my TBR list!