Respected Contributor

Hello readers.  I just finished reading a book that was rated 4.25/5* on Goodreads and I surely did not agree with that rating.  I would have begrudgingly given it a 3/5*.  This seems to be happening more and more.  Is it just me experiencing this?  Anyone else?

Where do you go for your book reviews (besides here)?  I stocked up on some books as I am on vacation and the one I just finished was a real let down.

TIA for your feedback.  LM

Respected Contributor

I usually look on Amazon or Barnes & Noble at book reviews. 

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

Hello readers.  I just finished reading a book that was rated 4.25/5* on Goodreads and I surely did not agree with that rating.  I would have begrudgingly given it a 3/5*.  This seems to be happening more and more.  Is it just me experiencing this?  Anyone else?

Where do you go for your book reviews (besides here)?  I stocked up on some books as I am on vacation and the one I just finished was a real let down.

TIA for your feedback.  LM

@Lilysmom1   I'm curious what book you read. 

I always think I'm an outlier because I do see books rated higher than I would rate them.  But some of it has to do with the genre.  In general, I must not be a thriller person because I find a lot of them to be very contrived and yet they are fairly highly rated.    

I usually only look at Goodreads and Amazon for reviews.  I believe Amazon now owns Goodreads, anyway. 

Respected Contributor

I, too, look at Amazon and Barnes and noble, but I do not read reviews. I just look at the synopsis of the story to see if it appeals to me. Then I look at the % of how many liked the book. I might read the title of the review, but not the review. I know, weird, biut that's what I do.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't always read reviews, just sometimes.   I just read what I think I will like and most times I do alright.

Years ago I used to follow Oprah's book recommendations.  I didn't like any of them and they were actually painful to get through so I am my own best reviewer I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually do not pay attention to reviews. Sometimes if I am feeling torn about a book I may read a few just to see what people have to say but it's rare. I pretty much know what type of books I enjoy and I tend to stick to that Genre. Someone else mentioned not enjoying thrillers and I have to agree for the most part I do not care for them. 

I do pick up book ideas from this forum, that sometimes takes me outside of what I would normally read and I have to say that sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.

Respected Contributor

@cindyNC @smoky22 @Janey2 @LindaSal @icezeus I used to rely completely on Goodreads and have pretty good luck with sorting out books I like.  I have found recently that the reviews are far too generous.

@smoky22 , I deleted the book I just finished and I can't recall the title..  it was something i thought I would enjoy but turned out not to be.  I skimmed the last half and it did disappoint.

I rely on our book forum and usually enjoy recommendations but this is one I chose from elsewhere.  Had no idea Amazon bought Goodreads @smoky22 .

I have The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson up next as a second read in waiting for the new release The Kind Worth Saving.  I don't usually read a book twice but it has been awhile.  We will see how that goes.  

Thanks all for your feedback.  LM

I'm a frequent commenter and reviewer on Goodreads.

Many of the readers receive ARC's from publishers with the expectation of a review for a free book. Those receiving advanced copies are usually more positive with ratings and praise because of the connection between authors and publishing houses and don't want to be harsh if they don't like a book.   

They soften a review as to not hurt the author's feelings or steer anyone away from a book just becaue of personal taste.

Respected Contributor

Reviews are very subjective.

I know what type of books I like, but I do read the reviews on Goodreads. If I see a lot of one or two star reviews for a book that I'm interested in, I usually rethink my purchase. But these are usually books that I was 'iffy' about reading anyway.

Respected Contributor

@Lochan That might explain it.  Thanks.