Honored Contributor

Re: Frustrating book endings

Some authors do it intentionally and some just have a hard time landing the plane. 

I dislike inane endings that are hurried and seemingly tacked on. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished the book "The Second Mrs. Hockaday" it was a good book, but the ending did not even seem like an ending, I was just reading along and all of a sudden the author started thanking everyone, it had moved into the acknowledgements, so I went back and read the last page again, and I just said "Oh Come On"!

Edit:  I forgot to add I talked to a friend of mine that had read the book also, and she had the exact same feelings, so I was not the only one disappointed in that ending!

Respected Contributor

Gone Girl was like that for me.  But by that time, I hated all the characters, so being ticked off at the ending seemed like an appropriate way to end it---because I hated it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Some authors do it intentionally and some just have a hard time landing the plane. 

I dislike inane endings that are hurried and seemingly tacked on. 

@GenXmuse  

I can so relate to your comments.  I have all but given up reading novels.  I get so frustrated when I spend (waste my) time reading a book, get reeled in and then it appears the author simply runs out of steam and pens a ridiculously unimaginative (and sometimes sloppy) ending.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

Gone Girl was like that for me.  But by that time, I hated all the characters, so being ticked off at the ending seemed like an appropriate way to end it---because I hated it.

@DrKelli  - Me too. I totally agree. I hated it with a passion!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

I am not fond of open ended stories the same goes for movies. In Europe be seem to have a special talent for that and French cinema can be very good but also annoying or frustrating. No one understands the plot however no one dares to admit it in public or else you risk to look illetarate. Everything has to be super  intelectual meaning incomprehensible, Jacques Derrida style.

My first frustrating end was with John le Carré's A Perfect Spy. Maybe I was too young or it was not well translated, fortunately we have many options🌻now